Chapter 5

Mood: Mad World by Tears For Fears (the original)

Half-way there

I woke up in an empty bed the uncomfortable coolness awaking me in the first place. I smell the dull scent of our apartment no unfamiliar smells of freshly cooked breakfast anywhere. I sit up stretching to rid my back of its aching pain. I look over at the digital clock, 7:02.

I get up off the bed and get ready to shower and start the day. I wash my body in the hot, steamy water to wake myself up. I think about all the things I need to get done today. I know Max will have my head if I don't go grocery shopping, and I need to get more toiletries for me and Max, and I have a doctors appointment at 3.         

I sigh putting my face in the hot water to try and relax myself from just the thought of my day.

I turn off the shower and hiss twisting my bruised wrist to firmly. I sigh and get dressed for a very long and stressful day. Putting on sweatpants and a sweater, I grab my wallet and apartment keys and begin to walk to the supermarket. I need the fresh air and the exercise. It's awfully quiet and it usually is, this part of Quebec being the less crowded.

I look both ways before crossing and walking into the small store the little bell ringing above me, "Morning Martha."

Martha's the sweet old lady that owns the store after it was handed to her by her husband after his death. She and I are definitely on friendship terms or so I'd like to think.

''Why Faye! How are you dear?"

"I'm great, and you?"

"I'm doing just grand. Of course I miss having a helping hand around here but I'm sure I'll find another." 

I look through the small isles with a basket in my uninjured hand, ''that boy Josh quit?"

She scoffed and let out a bitter chuckle, "I fired him after I caught him trying to steal a 20 dollar bill from the register."

Still looking through the vegetable stand, I make a face I'm sure she couldn't see, "the nerve!"

She chuckles, "I'm really getting too old for this Faye."

I sigh putting the can of fruits in my nearly full basket moving to the back where the refrigerated items are, "but you'll pull through Martha, you always do."

"you're too sweet Faye."

I smile putting the things from the basket onto the small checkout table, "it's just the honest truth and you need to hear it."

She rings the items and puts them in big paper bags putting the eggs on top, "55.07, sweetheart.''

I pull out my debit card and swipe it putting in the pin, "what happened to your wrist dear?"

I cover it up with my sleeve, "I bumped it."

Martha nods suspiciously and hands me my receipt, "have a good day dear, come again."

"Bye Martha."

I walk out the store the same bell rings as I leave.

I hold the paper bag close as I walk across the street and head home the question about why I lied about my bruise lingering in my head.

...

I lay on the couch letting the movie on the television play and become background noise as I stare at my bruised wrist. I don't want to believe that Max meant to hurt me, he wouldn't. But I had to lie so does that make it bad, does that make it wrong?

I sit up looking at the time, 1:59. I get off the couch and into my car letting my head rest on the steering wheel for a bit before driving off to the doctors.

...

I sit in the waiting room waiting for the doctor to tell me when my results should be back.

I play with the bracelets I placed on my wrist to hide my bruises even though they lay underneath my sweater.

"Faye Andrews?"

I get up from my spot and to the front desk, "your results should be done tommorow and the doctor should call you when they are, anything else?"

I shake my head, "okay you'll hear from us tommorow, have a nice day."

I leave the office lightheaded; I sit in my car trying to breathe. I grip the steering wheel taking a deep, much needed, breath.

I let out the frustrated sob I've been holding in all day and I begin to cry. I slam my fist into the steering wheel  and I flinch realizing it's the bruised one. I wipe my face and turn on the car driving home.

I reach the last light before my turn when I felt a sudden wave of regret when I realized Max would be home to no dinner. I sigh making that last turn and before I know it I'm parking the car. I turn off the car getting out seeing Max's car parked in its usual spot.

I hesitantly walk upstairs to our floor and when I get to our home I open the door to see Max looking through the fridge, his leg bouncing impatiently.

"Did you get the beer I asked for? My friends are waiting for it at TJ's to bring it."

Fuck I knew I'd forgotten something

"No I forgot, but I'm sure you can pick some up on the way th–"

He slams the fridge door interrupting me mid sentence, "you stay home all day, you barley go to work anymore! How can you forget?!"

I sigh getting a little angry, "it was an honest mistake! And why do you always have to bring booze? It's no big deal anyway just pick it up on the way there."

He looks at me shaking his head, "fuck you Faye, how could someone be so useless."

I look at him getting threateningly close shoving him with my finger that I had pointed on his chest, ''excuse me?! You have no fucking right to say that, especially over some stupid beer!"

He steps back, "you're testing my patience, Faye."

I shove him, "what are you gonna do, huh? Hit me?"

He shoves me back a little more than I shoved him and I fall back, "what the fuck is your deal!?"

"You're my fucking deal!"

I get back up abruptly, "You don't call people useless and think you can get away with it!"

He points a finger on my chest and shoves me back a little, "you don't push me around and get away with it."

He takes the car keys and slams the front door shut. Leaving me alone once again with nothing but my dangerously curious thoughts and an acing heart.

...

I wait in my car looking at the Manila folder that lay in my hands. I open them reading it aloud, 

"Faye Andrews, tested negative for any illnesses or STD's and is healthy and willing to have children..."

I smile a little ignoring anything else in the folder hearing exactly what I needed to.