THE SPOOKY SUMMER GETAWAY

"When I was younger my two siblings and I would spend summer weekends away at my cousins' house. Their house was in this region that was pretty isolated and full of farmlands. I remember one day, when I was maybe 8 or 9, it was particularly hot. Their house didn't have A/C. While the temperatures cooled down at night it was still uncomfortable. I was sleeping in my older cousin's room with my little sister and I woke up in the middle of the night because it was too stuffy. I decided to go sleep out in the living room because I had remembered that my aunt opened the windows and sliding glass door, so there was at least a breeze and circulation. I don't know how long I was asleep but I remember waking up what seemed like seconds later. Before I opened my eyes I had a feeling that someone was watching me. I was facing the couch and when I finally opened my eyes I saw a little girl sitting across from me. She wore a dress that looked like it was from the 1890s and was brushing her long, wavy hair. She was a bit transparent but had a gold tint because of the street light that was shining in on her. I blinked and she put down her brush in her lap, smiled at me, did a little wave, and mouthed 'hello.' I immediately shut my eyes, shot up, and ran back to my cousin's room. I remember only being able to fall asleep because I convinced myself that it didn't happen.

"When it was morning, I was the last to wake up. I walked into the kitchen where everyone was already eating breakfast. My older brother was in the middle of telling a story. Apparently he had woken up in the middle of the night, too. He had also gone to the living room and was woken up by the feeling that someone else was there too. He saw the same little girl and ran away just like I had. I freaked out and told him about my identical experience." - Cassidy