12. Getting Better

"I think she's waking up."

"You've been saying that for the past hour, bloody git."

"No, I think it's for real this time."

"Alright, well then give her some space you two."

My eyes fluttering open to the muffled bickering only to see it was John, Paul and my uncle standing beside the bed looking down at me hopefully.

I looked down at myself to see I was hooked up to a respirator and I was in fact in a hospital. My heart rate quickened feeling panicked, what had happened? My head was throbbing immensely and I still felt exhausted like I hadn't gotten any sleep for days. When my eyes met the three of them they practically jumped with joy.

"What happened?" I asked in confusion sitting myself up weakly.

"What happened is you nearly gave me a heart attack." My uncle huffed titling me back so I was leaning back on the bed once again. I opened my mouth to speak but Paul cut in suddenly.

"You had an asthma attack." He spoke softly. "The doctor says it was caused by a mixture of the cold air and the smoke from down in Club." He shook his head, his eyes full of sorrow and sympathy.

"I, I don't have asthma." I spoke breathlessly. Okay, maybe I do have asthma, I thought to myself trying to steady out my breath. A mixture of the cold air and smoke.

It suddenly became clear why I could never be around smoke without feeling at a shortness of breath or even be able to smoke a cigarette without nearly wheezing out a lung.

"I'm going to go tell the doctors you're awake." My uncle gave me a kiss on the forehead before heading to the door of the hospital room. My eyes followed him to where someone was standing at the door. I squinted my eyes to focus on a tall slender figure at the door with roses, George.

It was fortunate I was already at a hospital, because for a moment I swore my heart stopped. I held my breath and my hands instinctively went into fists nervously. For a moment there was complete silence in the room, making me want to sink into the floor and disappear, the tension began to thicken as the two of them noticed George.

"Erm, we'll, give you two a moment." Paul nudged John in the ribs, to which John stayed motionless as he stared daggers into the other guitarist's head. Paul rolled his eyes and grabbed the collar of John's leather jacket.

"Come on." Paul mumbled dragging John with him out of the room. I gulped feeling no saliva in my mouth. He looked miserable, with dark bags underneath his eyes and a frown etched over his lips. Wordlessly, he started to inch his way over to the side of the bed, looking at my current state with sorrow in his soft brown eyes.

"Poppy, I-I'm so," He stumbled over his sentence, seeming to not have the right words for what exactly he wanted to say, his eyes seeming to be glazed over with tears.

"-You don't have to apologize George." I looked into his eyes. "If you want to date Iris," I took a shaky breath trying to fight back tears. I shifted my attention to my hands for a moment to collect myself, then found the strength to look him in the eyes again.

"That's alright." I spoke with my voice quivering. I saw a deeper look of hurt and nervousness begin to wash over his features, distressed.

"I don't want to date Iris." He spoke softly, nervously holding out the bouquet of roses out for me to grab. Hesitantly, I took them making his shoulders relax slightly. There was a moment of silence as I kept my eyes glued to the lovely roses that were the most beautiful ones I'd ever seen before.