Chapter 8: See the World

I had everything I needed in place, so I decided I could spare some time and go outside. It would keep suspicion off of me anyway, I thought as I grabbed a small box out of my desk and put it in my black backpack. I slung it over the door handle to my closet and threw a t-shirt and a pack of hair ties on top of it that way no one would see the box when they looked inside.

I dropped the bag off in the medical lobby, that way I could easily grab it when I needed it. Then I met Nathan at the back door. For even just a few minutes, I would be free. I would be outside, and I would be free. And it would be amazing.

No one knew what I was doing. The only people who I had told some things to were Kyle and Mallory. I owed it to Mallory, at the least, and Kyle was the closest person to me. I had recently found out he volunteered to watch me, but because he usually spent so much time away on missions, Nathan and Chelsea stepped up instead.

Right now, the only thing I was going was taking a break. A well-deserved break, at that. I needed some time away, even just for a few minutes. A few minutes before everything would go insane.

I was surprised that Nathan was able to get me permission to go outside, especially with how I had been acting recently. But I didn't have time to think about that.

Once I made it to the top of the hill, I looked down at the river at the bottom of the waterfall. It was peaceful. It was just me and the sound of rushing water. Obviously Nathan and Maddie were there as well, but I wasn't concerned with them right now.

Maddie was afraid of the ravine. She never bothered denying it or hiding it. So she stayed farther back.

"Brooke, be careful," Nathan said as he walked up behind me. "I don't think people would be happy with me if you slipped and got even more hurt."

I laughed. "I'll be fine. Go worry somewhere else."

He sighed. "So how have you been? I heard that you stretched yourself too far in the Elitist Trial."

"Yep. I was so close. So close." I took a deep breath. "Anyway, what's new with you?"

"Not much. Nothing exciting has happened since you came back. It's been almost quiet."

"Almost?"

"A couple routine missions, but I don't think any of the Elitists or any urgent missions have been sent out."

Then I realized who else was being quiet.

"Where did Maddie go?" I asked as I stood up and looked around.

"What?" he asked.

"Maddie was back there, and now she's gone." I started walking away from where we were sitting on the grass by the water.

"Brooke, what are you talking about?"

I looked around. There was no sign of anyone else. "Where did she go?" I shouted.

Nathan could tell something was wrong. He stood next to me. "Stay right here, and I'll look around."

I nodded. If something had happened to Maddie when we were out here, if I miscalculated and things were starting right now, I would be screwed. Everyone would be screwed.

I went back to where we were sitting and looked at the water. It had seemed so peaceful earlier, but now I wasn't sure what was happening, or if my plan would even work.

I heard footsteps, so I turned around to see if Maddie was here or if Nathan returned. As I did, I felt a push and I tumbled backwards as I lost my footing on the edge of the ravine.