Chapter 10: Have You Listened to Me Lately?

Chapter 10

"It's sort of funny," I said to Nathan. I didn't even have to turn around to know it was him. Another set of footsteps was with him. Chelsea. "Everyone always thought I was going to do great things. Become the leading field agent, and then once I was done with that, take charge as the new director. I bet they never thought I would become this." I laughed. "Funny."

I had escaped the medical area fairly easily, considering how much of a risk I was. There was a very helpful detail in the fact I distracted Kyle, and probably a lot of other people by saying we were probably going to be attacked soon. Hopefully I was wrong, I didn't think that I was.

"Brookie, we can help," Nathan said. "The doctors said-"

"The doctors said lots of things!" I shouted back. "But they didn't realize the entire time I was going crazier and crazier until I'm just imagining people and jumping off cliffs. But do you want to know the craziest thing?"

"Brooke, please calm down," Chelsea told me.

"I didn't realize I was jumping. I didn't even know that I jumped. I thought someone pushed me."

Chelsea and Nathan sat down across from me. "Remember your drills. Deep breaths."

"That didn't help me when I tried to drown myself. The fall didn't kill me. I figured it wouldn't. I've jumped from higher places before. But I'm surprised, actually. I totally forgot about my leg." I laughed again. "Funny, since that's always causing me problems."

"Ok, Brooke, we're going to walk down to the doctors and they are going to help you through this."

"No!" I slammed my hand into the table. "The doctors can't do anything for me because they don't get what the problem is! They're just going to lock me in a room until the problems go away and that's not going to happen. They can't do that."

Nathan spoke calmly. "Do you know what the problem is?"

I smiled. "Finally. Someone asked." I leaned forward on the table, which was difficult because of my arm cast from my fall into the river. "The problem was I was too good."

Chelsea bit her lip and I could tell she was trying to figure out how to respond to that. Some instincts never go away. "What do you mean?"

I rolled my eyes. "I mean, why do you think they lured you off? Why do you think they picked me to capture? What was their goal?"

"They kept asking me who locked Lab 7, but I don't know that. I honestly don't think anyone knows that except for the person who did it."

"Then why would they ask you?"

She shook her head. "I don't know. I don't have any ranking that would make them think that."

"And why wouldn't they torture you?"

She shook her head again. "Brooke, we don't know. We don't know any of this."

I held up my hand. "Correction. You don't know any of this."

Nathan looked at my hand. I kept it up for him to see. "Oh God," he mumbled. "Why would you do that?"

I shrugged. "I told you. I was too good. I had everything planned out so Lab 7 would remain safe. My plan was so good, it didn't matter what happened to me. And since my plan was so good, I would never crack and tell them what happened. Because if I did, then all my hard work would go to waste. Everything I did, every small piece of the plan would be worthless if I cracked. And I wasn't going to do that to myself. No matter what the cost. The plan was too good to give it up."

"Will you tell us?" Chelsea asked. "What the plan was?"

I nodded. "When the attack occurred, I had a feeling they were going for Lab 7. It's been done before, but with smaller efforts. Not even all the Elitists know how many times it's happened. Kyle and I are the only ones, other than Agent Katherine. I ran down when the power was knocked off, and I was able to reboot the system for the locks. The only problem was the security checks had been dismantled. I made my handprint the key." I laughed. "Key. Agent Key's hand is the key. Funny.

"Anyway, once the room was locked, I went back with everyone else. And that is when my plan began to form. I switched our profiles, Chelsea. I knew they would go after me since I was an Elitist, but they wouldn't torture me because that would be a waste of time because if they knew I was an Elitist, the probably knew my scores for the drills. Since you were close to me personally, almost as close as Kyle, they would probably go after you, and no offense, you would crack under the pressure. Kyle would've been able to handle it too. When I was captured, I realized I was right. They did things to me first, but after a while, they sincerely believed that I knew nothing. That's why they let you find me, and when they zapped me in front of you, they expected you to hint that you knew something, but you didn't. Then everyone was able to get me out."

"What happened to your hand?" Nathan asked.

"When I got back here, I realized that if they figured out it was me, they would go after me a lot harder. So one night, I snuck out of my medical room and went to the R&D department. I was on so many painkillers and drugs I didn't even feel it when I did it."

"When you did what?" Chelsea asked.

"She sanded off her fingerprints," Nathan replied.

"Luckily, my other handprint was used for the Elitist trial, so this hand could stay blank. Anyway, I didn't realize I was going crazy after that. I knew I had problems, but I didn't know I was imagining people until I almost killed myself. I thought I was stronger than that. I guess not."

"Brooke, I don't think anyone could've survived what you went through," Nathan replied. "It's amazing that you're even telling us all of this."

I laughed. "No, it's not."

"What do you mean?" Chelsea asked.

"Because this was part of my plan too."

"I thought you told us all of your plan," Nathan said.

I smiled and shook my head. "Not even close."

"Will you tell us?"

I laughed. "That would be totally against the point."

Chelsea sighed. "We are going to walk you down to Agent Katherine, and you are going to tell her everything you told us, and then we'll take you to your doctors."

I laughed again. Louder this time. "Agent Katherine already knows what happened. Or at least she thinks she does. That was part of the plan too." I sat back and leaned into the back of the booth. "No one realizes how big my plan really is. And it's foolproof."

"Ok. I'll go get the doctors and have them come here. Nathan, stay with her," Chelsea instructed. She then left the room. Nathan and I were the only ones in the room. I checked my watch. Any minute now.

Time for the next part of my plan.

~~~~

There you have it: Brooke's plan.  What do you think of it?  What did she not take into account?  What's in Lab 7?  Will they actually be attacked?  So many questions, hopefully I'll answer them soon :)

Hope you've enjoyed so far!