Chapter 14: Never Look Inward

"I made a mistake," I said once Kyle got back into the car.

"Yeah, you did. Do you seriously think that flashing a badge can make all of this go away? This is a lot of work for me, did you consider that? You killed four people, Brookie. The cops pay attention to that."

"I wasn't talking about that," I replied as he started the car. "I drank two 32 oz bottles of water before I left headquarters and now I really have to pee."

"Are you serious? That is what you're worried about?"

"I mean, I don't exactly want to pee myself in the car, and I don't trust the gas station bathrooms in this section of town." I continued to treat my broken nose with the tape and tissues in the glovebox of the car.

"Brooke, you killed people tonight."

"Yeah but I can't exactly shoot my way out of gas station toilet STDs. Are those like officially a thing or is it urban legend?"

"I was going to reassure you that Mallory is expected to make a full recovery. But you don't really seem to care."

"I do. And this is my way of showing it. You should know that."

"What do you expect me to know? This isn't like you at all."

I shrugged. "I'm different now."

"Clearly."

"You don't have to babysit me. Don't you have better things to do?"

"No. It's my job to keep track of you. I thought that progressing your training would allow you to look after yourself so I wouldn't have as much responsibility, but clearly that backfired."

I pulled the emergency brake and the car stopped. Kyle cursed under his breath. "What now?" Then he paused, realizing what he said. "Brooke-"

"Spill everything."

"You know that I can't."

"Why do I need to protect myself? Why does it have to be your job to protect me? Explain. Now."

"I can't."

"I will get out of this car and say you're trying to kidnap me. Try me."

"Brooke."

"Have you seen my fake tears? Add in all of my injuries and you'll have a lot more problems to deal with than me. Mostly human trafficking accusations. Think you can get out of those?"

"When you were in Lab 7, you saw some files. Even if you didn't mean to, you read them which means you know information. That puts you at risk."

"So I'm going to be held hostage again? Great. But at least if you couldn't keep track of me that means other people won't be able to either."

"Brooke, I'm not kidding."

I sat back in my seat and crossed my arms. "Neither am I."

Kyle released the emergency brake and continued driving. We were both silent.

"Why couldn't you tell me?"

"Because I saw what you tried to do when you didn't know. I thought you were past that and I didn't want to make it worse."

Suddenly, his phone rang. Kyle answered it. "Cell phones while driving? Tsk tsk," I said with a smile.

"Yes?... We're on our way... What? No. I'm heading back... But don't you need me?... I understand..." Then he hung up. "Change of plans. We're going to dinner somewhere."

"So why can't we go back to headquarters?" I asked.

"Who said we couldn't?" he replied.

"I'm suicidal, not stupid," I answered.

"There's been a situation that I'm supposed to keep you away from. It's actually lucky you ran out tonight."

I put together everything I had been told during that car ride. "They're there. They're after me. Oh, God."

"It's ok," Kyle replied. "We're not going near them. You'll be ok."

"Don't you understand?!" I shouted. "Last year was entirely about protecting everyone. Everyone except me! And now people are going to die because of me. Drive there now."

"I'm not doing that."

"I wasn't asking."

Kyle continued to drive the other way. I unbuckled my seat belt and opened my car door. "Brooke!" Kyle yelled. I looked at him.

"You had your chance." Then I jumped out of the moving car.