Chapter 12: Someone to Save Us

I didn't expect to wake up. I genuinely didn't. But as soon as I opened my eyes, Kyle jumped to his feet.

"Oh thank God. They weren't sure if you would wake up. Please don't ever do that to me, Brooke. Promise me, never again."

"You weren't supposed to open the door," I tried to say, but all that came out was a horse squeak. Damage from the smoke, I guess. My arms were all bandaged up, along with basically the rest of me, so there was no way for me to write what I was trying to say either. I guess I can add severe burns and smoke damage to my ever growing list of injuries and symptoms. There was too many to list now.

"I know. You didn't want me to, but I couldn't stand outside as you died. And you know that."

I tried to talk again. It didn't work.

"How did I open the door?" he asked.

I nodded.

"There is a failsafe. Because I knew your codes and we were still linked in the system, I was able to open the door with my handprint. Luckily, Agent Katherine kept us linked even though you failed the trial."

I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry for bringing that up."

I tried to shrug. It didn't go well.

"You destroyed everything, though," he said. "Did a really good job of it, actually. So much so that we barely were able to get you out."

I narrowed my eyes.

"Why didn't you talk to me about all of this?"

I looked at him, and then at all of my bandages, and then the door.

"Yes, I would've tried to stop you, but I also would've helped you come up with a better plan."

I raised an eyebrow, a very singed eyebrow.

"Your plan was not flawless."

I closed my eyes.

"Are you going to try to kill yourself as soon as I leave?" he asked. "Is that a step of your plan that needs to be completed."

I tried to speak again: still unsuccessful.

"Brookie, none of us want you to die. What would I do without you?"

But what would have happened to everyone else if I wasn't here? Chelsea and Nathan would have so much less responsibility, Ned would still be alive, Agent Katherine wouldn't have to deal with the clean-up from the mess I made. It was supposed to end so cleanly. I didn't account for the failsafe for the code.

Then the door opened and Mallory walked in. "You're ok!" she said happily.

I rolled my eyes. Kyle filled in my words for me. "Debatable. She's still slightly suicidal."

Mallory sat down next to Kyle. "Why didn't you ask for help? You came to me with so much, and you never said a word. You worked so hard to make sure none of us would notice. Why?"

I glared at Kyle. He responded for me again. "That wasn't part of her plan."

"We're going to help you. This time I will make sure I don't let you sneak parts of your plan around me," Mallory said.

I smiled. It was nice to know that I had friends looking out for me, even if they were fighting my well-thought out plans.

"I'll sit here with her so you can leave, Kyle," Mallory said. Kyle stood up.

"Get some sleep, Brooke. Please."

I nodded and closed my eyes.