Chapter 15: A Sign is Going to Come to Me

My landing was not perfection. At all. If I had been at the Olympics, I definitely would've scored a negative number. But the appearance wasn't important. It was important that I was ok, or at least ok enough to continue moving.

I had to get back. I had to end this. One way or the other.

Kyle stopped the car and was turning it around to face me. I kept walking.

"Brooke, stop."

I didn't.

"Brooke, stop. If you really want to go back, I'll come with you."

I turned to face him as he spoke to me through the open car window.

"Get out," I told him.

"What?" he asked.

"Get out. I'm driving."

He hesitated, so I turned around and kept walking. Then I heard the car door open. "Fine. Fine. Get in."

Kyle walked around to the other side of the car and got in. I did the same on the driver's side.

It took some adjusting with my brace, and the fact I hadn't driven a car in over a year and a half, but I was able to do it. It was a quick drive, relatively, considering the fact I walked from Headquarters to wherever I ended up. Once I pulled into the lot, I got out of the car and ran the fastest I could inside. Kyle was right beside me.

We turned the corner to the medical wing, and encountered a group of people.

I recognized almost all of them. Mallory, Nathan, Chelsea and other agents who I worked with, and the people who kidnapped me.

No one noticed Kyle and me because they were too busy focusing on fighting each other.

And in that moment, I decided to do something very stupid.

"Hey!" I shouted as loud as I could. Everyone in the room turned to look at me. I made direct eye contact with one of the intruders. "Yeah, you loser. Remember me? Because I remember you." He was one of the people who was always involved when I was tortured.

Guns were drawn. The first was from other intruders, and they were pointed at me. Next was from the agents, as they pointed their guns at those people.

But the man I was looking at set his gun on Mallory.

I held up my hands.

"What are you doing?" Kyle hissed to me quietly.

"Trust me. As soon as they all get outside, put the place in lockdown, even if I'm not in here."