Epilogue

A S H L E Y

5 years later...

"You ready?" I excitedly grin at Amelia.

She looks up from the now closed envelope and smiles, light blue braces covering her teeth. Her dentist was happy to tell us that her teeth only needed a little straightening and that the average ten year old needs at least two fillings; definitely a proud mom moment.

"I'm nervous." She murmurs, bowing her head slightly; something she got from me.

"Don't be. Your dad loves you and he's definitely going to remember this fathers day present." I give her an encouraging smile and follow her up the stairs and to the door of my room.

She lets out a shaky breath before slowly pushing the white door open and padding into the dimly lit room.

"Dad?" She whispers, nudging his broad shoulder.

He doesn't move a muscle; only snores more.

"Dad?" She says louder this time. His eyes shoot open and he hastily grabs her, flinging her onto my side of the bed and mercilessly tickling her.

"No! Stop..." Her giggles and gasps for air fill the room and I smile contently at the sight before me.

He stops after a moment, letting Amelia catch her breath. His gaze goes to the door and he meets mine.

"Hi." He mouths with an adorably tired smirk.

"Hi." I mouth back with a bright smile.

"Dad?" Amelia whines, giving Ethan her 'death glare'.

"What did I do?" He questions with wide eyes.

Amelia doesn't argue only huffs and sits up, crossing her legs and holding the big brown envelope close to her chest.

"What's that?" He asks with a curious expression.

I take a seat on the edge of the bed and smile at the pair, already knowing the contents of the envelope.

"Happy Fathers Day." Amelia shyly smiles, handing it to him.

He turns to me with a curious spark in his blue-green eyes, silently asking me what it is.

I nod my head, coaxing him to open it.

He quickly breaks the seal at the top and parts the paper, opening it to get a sneak peak.

I see him audibly gulp before slowly sliding the document out.

I watch as his eyes frantically scan the words almost not believing what they're telling him.

"Read it." I smile.

"Under the United States of America Adoption agency. Ethan Samual Spencer has formally adopted Amelia Sophia Merritt.." He barely gets half off the words out before tears fill his eyes and he sets down the envelope to pull his daughter into his arms.

"I love you so much." I hear him quietly croak into her shoulder as they both cling to each other, warm tears trailing down both of their faces.