Chapter 2

|Mónéy|

I removed the gloves from my hands and placed them in the trash. I poured some sanitizer in my hands before washing it off. I had got a part-time job working at Grady Memorial hospital, while I still attended school. Even though I was just a medical assistant for now, I still had hope to be a doctor once I graduated.

"Your turn," Sasha, my colleague called from behind me. I glanced slightly over my shoulder before frowning. I grabbed a few paper towels from the machine before turning to face her. She had just became a doctor and was now thinking she was the boss.

"It's not my job to deliver the bad news to the family," I snapped as I threw the paper towel away. My colleague Rodney walked into the break room, eating an apple.

"How'd it go back there," he asked. I glanced at him before shrugging. I hated when he asked questions like that and already knew the answer.

"It damn sure didn't go as planned," Sasha mumbled. This was the third death this week and I participated in all of them. The thought that this could be my fault, made me nauseous. Was I seriously responsible for three people's lives?

"The district and the board of FGH won't like this," Rodney said, taking a seat at the round table. I leaned up against the sink and sighed.

"I know, I just hope they don't get to pissed off and start firing everyone," I said. Sasha scoffed before going into the fridge.

"Little Miss Mónéy, you'll be the first they fire. You've been involved in the last few deaths that has happened. I hope you don't think they're gonna over look that," she taunted before slamming the fridge shut. I mugged her before rolling my eyes. This bitch was worse than Asia with her slick ass mouth. God rest her nasty ass soul.

The head doctor, Javier walked in and washed his hands. I quickly glanced at him to see the angered look on his face. Knowing he was most likely pissed off because he had to be the one to break the news to the family. The rest of the crew piled into the sanitizing room and washed up. I took a seat at the round table and stared out into the distance.

"Matters," Javier called out, snapping me out of my trance. I glanced at him and noticed he was surrounded by the rest of the crew.

"Huh," I answered," rubbing my arm.

"Go deliver the news to the family," he demanded before walking away. I gave his back and the rest of the crew a "hell no" look before getting up to go after him.

"Uh, isn't that somebody else's job," I asked.

"Yea, yours," he said simply.

"But I don't-," I started but he cut me off.

"Your job is on the line, Matters. Either you do what I asked or be terminated, immediately," Javier snapped before walking around me. I sighed and closed my eyes. Since the ten months I had been working here, I had never had to deliver bad news to any family.

"Told ya'," Sasha said as she bypassed me. I smacked my lips and made my way to the waiting area, where the family was most likely waiting. With each step I took, I became more and more nervous.

"Family of Jerod Prescott," I called out. Immediately an older looking woman, a little boy, and a pregnant girl stood up.

"Yes, I'm his mom," the older lady said frantically. I looked over my shoulder and took a deep breath.

"Its bad news ain't it," the pregnant girl asked on the verge of tears.

"I'm sorry, he didn't make it," I said. The older lady erupted into tears, making everyone in the waiting room, look her way.