-36-

Johann unzipped the black body bag, revealing Lyra's corpse. He pursed his lips at the sight, titling her head to the side to assess the damage. A small smile creeped at the corner of his mouth, seeing that the damage was reversible.

He knew the coverup was going to be difficult - as well as keeping the revival process hidden from Olivia. It was amusing to Dr. Pryce as to why each person wanted Lyra dead for different reasons.

Olivia had gotten what she wanted - she had gotten rid of Lyra and framed Peter for the murder. Peter skipped town; now a wanted suspect at large. In a single night, Olivia Godfrey had removed all of her problems. But there was one problem she couldn't get rid of - Lyra Cambion.

Pryce was not about to let her win this time. Ares Cambion was a distinguished doctor - one Johann needed in his practice. His experiments were remarkable - his breakthroughs were repeated consistently. Perhaps it had something to do with what he was - what his daughter was. It didn't matter, Pryce needed Ares' mind and his expertise. Olivia would eventually find out the truth, but right now, the consequences went undeterred.

"Take her to the lab. Be sure to contact Dr. Cambion, he needs to be here for this." Johann nodded, gesturing for the nurse and intern to wheel her away.

Pryce was about to be a busy man - his best work was going to go unnoticed, but it didn't matter. All that mattered what keeping Dr. Cambion in the practice, at all costs. He would cover Olivia's tracks, get rid of the evidence and sweep the murder under the rug.

"Dr. Pryce! Some detectives want to speak with you." Dr. Neville spoke rushed; nervous.

Johann smiled. "Alright then, let's have a word with the detectives then, shall we?" Johann's toothy grin went wide, walking around Dr. Neville toward the elevator.

The doors opened with a 'ding,' the sound of Johann's footsteps clinked against the floor. He adjusted his suit, already preparing himself for the bullshit speech.

"Detectives, how may I be of assistance to you?" Johann smiled wide, exposing his white teeth. He watched as the detectives stole glances - their expressions annoyed and callous.

"I'm detective Marsh and this my partner, Billingsly. We'd like to speak with you about a body we uncovered in the woods this afternoon."

"Yes?" Johann said, knowing where they were trying to steer the conversation.

"Lyra Cambion, daughter of Ares Cambion... He works for you." Marsh spoke.

"Yes, I am aware of the tragedy. It's unfortunate. She was such a bright girl, from what I knew of her." Johann spoke respectfully.

"You knew Miss Cambion?"

"Why yes. Her father is one of the best in the institute. I take pride in getting to know my employees' families."

"We found her body near the Rumancek property. Something killed her, she didn't die in the collision. You got any idea who might be involved in the hit and run?"

"No, my apologies."

"Can you tell us the cause of death - that gaping hole in her neck?"

Johann looked to his shoes; his eyes shifting back to detective Marsh remorseful. "An animal. Possibly a coyote."

"You mean a bear? No way in hell a coyote did that much damage." Detective Billingsly spat angrily.

"Possibly a Ursus Americanus, those are the only species found in this area - It's probable."

"So now we're searching for a hit and run suspect and a fucking black bear, is that what you're telling us?" Marsh spoke harshly.

Johann's eyes trailed to the door when seeing Ares approach. He stepped through the double doors, wearing his white lab coat - ready to begin. "I suppose I am. Now, if you don't mind detectives, Dr. Cambion and I need to discuss some things. I have agreed to pay Miss Cambion's funeral expenses. Excuse me." Johann met Ares at the door, placing his hand on his shoulder to comfort the grieving father. The detectives watched as they made their way to the elevator.

The door opened; Johann looked to Ares to see a smile in his eyes. He sensed his excitement - after all, he had been waiting nearly eighteen years for this to happen.

Her death didn't go the way he had planned, but in the end it didn't matter. He had hoped that Lyra would bare a child - Roman's child. An Upir and a Succubus; Ares could only imagine the power - the potential to save and heal other life, all in the form of one being. But Olivia Godfrey had gotten in the way; destroying any chance of that happening - forever. Lyra would be barren after the revival. But, Ares understood that sacrifices had to be made.

"I heard the werewolf fled." Ares said, making small talk. "I haven't heard anything on Roman's whereabouts, have you?" Ares asked.

He knew that Roman was still in town - when he arrived home, his vehicle had been returned, setting in the driveway. Roman had dropped off the car and (he supposed) walked home.

Despite not knowing Roman that well, he cared for the boy. He knew how much he loved Lyra. The feeling was intense - borderline obsession. Although Ares was not there to witness Lyra's death, he knew that Roman had been there, as well as Peter Rumancek.

"I'm sure Roman is taking it rather hard. I'm sure he feels helpless." Johann spoke, watching the numbers change every floor the shaft went down.

"We all do." Ares said, referring to Olivia.

They entered the room - Lyra's unclothed corpse resting on the steel table, prepped for the procedure. She had been cleaned - the magnitude of her wound exposed now without the sheen of blood covering the hole. Her eyes were closed - to Ares, she resembled that of "Snow White." She was after all, the "fairest of them all" when it came to Olivia Godfrey and her motives.

"Shall we begin?" Johann smiled, looking to Ares for his approval. He nodded, walking to the sink to wash his hands to prepare. "Are you worried at all?"

"No, why would you ask?" Ares smiled; the nurse holding open a latex glove for him to slip his hand in.

"Lyra will be very powerful. The turn of a full breed succubus is quite unsettling, in my past experiences."

"It will be worth it." Ares spoke softly; the nurse holding open another glove. Ares placed a procedure mask over his mouth and nose, eager to begin.