-44-

Roman stopped in front of building B at the apartment complex in Saratoga. He looked around, noticing that his Maserati wasn't sticking out like a sore thumb - this place was inhabited by wealth. His money had been paying for all this; Lyra's lavish lifestyle.

He turned the car off, contemplating on approaching room 308. He had thought about what he would say - but only questions came to mind.

Why hadn't she told him she was alive?

Why had she abandoned him?

Did she not love him?

Was he not good enough?

Roman's lips made a hard line when thinking of all the unanswered questions. He wasn't sure if he was prepared for her answers. What if he wasn't good enough? What if she wanted to live her life without him?

That was nonsense, she had been using his money. If Lyra decided she didn't want Roman, he would cut her off financially, it was as simple as that.

Roman licked his lips, sleeking his hair back, making sure every strand was perfectly in place. He started to open the door, only to catch a glimpse of someone walking through the breezeway of the complex.

She walked in fast, but fluid motions. The length of her long black hair was past the middle of her back. She wore a long black dress with a slit up the side, revealing too much above the knee. Roman could tell her skin was pale, nearly white against the contract of the dress. She wore a familiar beige reefer coat; her hair swaying when she walked.

She turned, her gaze looking over her shoulder before trailing to the parking lot. Roman's eyes went wide, sitting up in the front seat of his car to be sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him. He watched as she pursed her lips, making the dimples in her cheeks visible as she stared down at her feet while she walked. Roman saw she was wearing heels; if he listened carefully, he could hear them clinking on the pavement as she approached a Chevy cobalt.

It was Lyra. Roman fell back in the seat; his eyes staying fixed on her as she climbed into the driver's seat of the car.

"Holy, shit-" Roman murmured. Deep down he knew that Pryce was telling the truth, but seeing that Lyra was alive and well with his own eyes made things too real.

When seeing the Chevy's taillights light up, Roman started his car. He waited until she had pulled out of the lot to begin following her.

He didn't like the way she was dressed - it looked as though she was going on a date of some sort. Or worse, she was looking for someone to hook up with - someone to fuck.

Roman gritted his teeth at the thought, imagining someone else lying between her legs - hearing her voice call out someone else's name as they made her feel the way he once had. For a moment, he wished she was dead again; that way, no one would ever have the opportunity to feel her from the inside.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Roman whispered to himself, turning onto a packed street, lined with cars. He could hear loud music coming from the brick building as Lyra's car crept to a stop.

He parked on the street, watching Lyra do the same just up ahead. He turned off his car before she climbed out of her vehicle, trying to remain inconspicuous.

He watched as she made her way across the street to the loud building. He could see red and pink lights moving through the glass entrance - it was a nightclub.

Roman had been with his fair share of women in the time Lyra had been absent from his life, but he had never forgotten about her. Sometimes, he even imagined that it was with her. Sometimes, his own monster was a distraction from the women he bedded.