-46-

Lyra arrived at the apartment, seeing there was no sign of Roman's Maserati.

She took a shower, standing in front of the foggy mirror. She wiped her hand across the moist glass, staring at the scar on her neck.

Lyra recalled Roman's reaction to the raised tissue; the scar was nearly invisible. But to Lyra, it was the most prominent feature on her body. It was evidence of what she was - what Olivia had practically made her become.

There was a knock at the door, causing a smile to creep across Lyra's lips; she knew it was Roman. She thought about answering the door naked, but knew it would be a distraction from what needed to be said.

She opened the door; Roman stood on the other side, his arm stretched out, supporting his weight against the door frame.

Lyra's eyes widened at the sight of him - blood covered the lower half of his face; the front half of his shirt drenched. She gasped, covering her hands over her mouth as she took a step back.

Tears brimmed her eyes as she spoke through her hands. "What have you done?" She asked, the sound of her voice muffled.

"This is what I am now." Roman's head lifted, his light eyes gazing into Lyra's. "I can't stop it." Roman was on the verge of tears; his lips were pursing, tasting the blood that was now drying on his mouth.

Lyra ran to him, trying to wipe the blood off of his face, pulling him into the apartment. "What have you done?" She repeated, feeling an ache form in the back of her throat as she refrained from crying.

She wrapped her arms around his neck when realizing the blood wasn't coming off.

She pushed the door closed behind him, stroking his face, trying to get him to look at her. Roman kept his eyes closed, trying not to cry in Lyra's presence.

"Roman... it's okay. Look at me, it's okay." Lyra cooed, seeing through Roman's mind - he had left the dead body in a vacant lot, knowing that whomever's life he had taken, didn't mean much to anyone.

Lyra assumed it was someone who had been homeless - an alcoholic that refused to get help and was left abandoned by his family. She pitied the victim who had died at Roman's hands. But nothing compared to the guilt Roman felt for doing what he had done.

"It's not okay. You can't love me because of what I am- Do you understand that?" Roman's voice was uneven, his hands trembling as he placed them on Lyra's hips.

"I left because I had to, Roman. I left because I didn't want you to lose everything- I didn't want you to lose everything because of me. Me leaving had nothing to do with how I feel about you. And as for this-" Lyra pulled Roman's head back, trying to wipe the blood off of his face again. "It doesn't change the way I feel about you, either." Lyra cried, letting the tears spill out of her eyes.

Roman opened his eyes, placing his hands on her face, placing a small kiss on her lips. "I'm a monster." He spoke softly.

"So am I." Lyra said. Roman began to cry, wrapping his arms tightly around her small frame. She held him close; the wetness on her skin causing the blood on his flesh to loosen, smearing along her chest.

She ran her hands through his hair, pulling his head back to kiss him. Roman was apprehensive at first, but inevitably let himself have what he wanted.

Lyra pulled Roman toward the bedroom, stumbling back as he unclothed himself, following Lyra wherever she decided to take him. She was all he had - he was not about to let her go again.

They were now monsters, lost in a world of humans. But as long as they had each other, they wouldn't be faced with having to deal with it alone. There was an evil that resided within them - but at least they were good enough for each other.