- 10 -

I'm really excited for these next couple of chapters, you guys.
Enjoy!

Virgil's house was dark when he got home. He walked through the kitchen and threw his bag down on the couch. He immediately walked across the small living-dining-room, down the hallway behind the kitchen, and into his bedroom at the end of the hall.

The room had dark curtains that were currently closed, blocking all of the light from the room. The floors were dark wood -- the one nice feature of the rental house -- partially covered by a dark gray rug. Only the bed, in the corner of the left wall and door wall, and the desk, on the far wall with the widow, were unpacked.

Virgil was utterly exhausted, even though it was only Monday. He knew he had homework but he didn't really feel like doing any of it -- actually, he didn't feel like doing anything. His good old mixture of procrastination and depression had returned.

He didn't feel sad per se, but rather... empty. It was a familiar feeling and he knew there wasn't much he could do. So the boy simply collapsed on his bed and lay on his back, staring at the ceiling. Virgil felt like sinking into oblivion. He was so tired and so heavy. He started drifting off into a motionless sleep...

But then his phone buzzed.

He sat there in bed, lazily contemplating for five minutes whether or not he should go check his phone. He thought, for a moment, that he would never be able to get up again. But then a voice spoke in his head. Stand up, you dolt. No one texts you; this is probably important. It might be too late even now.

Sighing, Virgil stood up and walked over to his desk. He picked up his phone and looked at the lit screen. It was a text from Logan. Virgil had nearly forgotten that he had given Logan his number for homework the last week.

Logan: I'm giving your number to Patton.

Virgil sighed and dragged his phone over to his bed. Of course Logan's dork of a seat partner would want his phone number -- not that it's really a bad thing... Patton is nice... Virgil texted Logan back:

Okay.

Not the most creative response, but what was he supposed to say? A minute or so later, a text arrived from an unknown number -- presumably Patton.

Patton: hey Virge!!! :)) Sorry for the bother but I saw that Logan had your number and I couldn't NOT ask for it!!

There was no way it was humanly necessary to have that many exclamation points in one text. Virgil found himself letting out a short chuckle though, despite his tired state.

Virgil: hi Patton.

Patton: I saw u and Roman sitting together last week! I'm glad u two are finally getting along :)

Oh shoot, he saw us sitting together? Virgil found himself thinking. But it wasn't bad, they had just sat together. And bantered. And talked. Nothing noteworthy, nothing embarrassing. But Virgil still felt the grip of anxiety. He fumbled for a response.

Virgil: yeah we did. I guess we're getting along better now

Patton: well he's been so hard on you these past weeks. I hope so! Sorry to leave you, kiddo, but Logan's back!

Virgil: back? Are you two hanging out?

Virgil couldn't imagine the two opposites spending time together. Maybe they were texting...? Even that seemed strange.

Patton: haha yesss!! He's helping me with math homework. I think he's going to be my tutor from now on!

Virgil: Huh.