- 15 -

Warning: emotional Patton ahead!

Patton was incredibly pleased with the effectiveness of his plan. He had gotten all four of the chemistry group members talking and sincerely hoped that all of them would continue to meet.

After school, he immediately walked to Logan's house. The rain pooled on the streets in little puddles and he kicked the water around childishly -- after all, just because you grew older didn't mean you had to grow up.

Logan opened the door and nodded for Patton to come inside. When they sat down, he immediately began walking Patton through that day's lesson again, simplifying his vocabulary and going over things multiple times just to make sure Patton understood. Patton tried to stay focussed on the actual concept Logan was talking about, but he kept getting distracted by his personal enjoyment with Logan's kindness.

It was no secret that Logan was objective. It was rare that he expressed compassion towards somebody else and went out of his way to consistently help someone -- especially someone as hopelessly lost as Patton. The fact that he was willing to set aside hours every night to aid Patton in his attempts to understand precalculus was touching. So touching, in fact, that Patton bubbled with happiness for the whole time he spent with Logan.

At one point in one of Logan's lesson, Patton was lost in thought, staring at his tutor. Logan stopped talking for a moment. He cleared his throat and gave Patton a pointed look. "Are you even listening to me?"

Patton snapped out of his daze, embarrassment causing his face to heat up. "Um..." he began awkwardly, "I mean, I was listening to you, I just wasn't really... paying attention to what you were saying..." He smiled sheepishly.

Logan let out a big sigh, but Patton got the feeling that he wasn't really that frustrated. "Where did you lose focus?"

"At the beginning?" Patton admitted, looking down at his graph paper. He felt bad for zoning out and not listening to Logan, but he hadn't been able to help himself. "I'm sorry, Logan," he said, "I just got caught up in my thoughts and I really was trying to listen to you, but at some point I just --"

Logan put a hand on his shoulder. "Patton," he said with kind authority. "It's okay. I'm not going anywhere. I'll explain it again."

Patton smiled, hoping that his face didn't convey how caught off guard he was from Logan's hand-to-shoulder touch. Patton had been under the impression that Logan didn't touch, but he distracted himself from his thoughts again by just focussing on nodding and saying, "Okay."

Logan restated his lesson and Patton paid attention this time, directing all of his energy on that.

At one point in their session, after forty five minutes or so, Logan stopped abruptly. He frowned, as though deep in contemplation. "Do you understand enough for today?"

Enough? "I'm not bothering you, am I Logan?" Patton asked. Was he keeping Logan from other things? "If you have something else you could have told me long ago."

"No, no." Logan shook his head. "Quite the contrary, Patton." He frowned, seeming to have trouble finding his words. "I enjoy helping you, but..." he paused, "if you are happy with how much you understand... then I would enjoy stopping."

Patton's face fell. "Oh," he replied. He tried to regain his composure and normal facial expression, but he felt bad -- he was boring Logan. He'd really thought they both enjoyed the tutoring session. "I can go for today then," Patton said, not wanting to inconvenience the boy any longer.

Logan's frown deepened. "I don't think you quite understand what I mean," Logan began.

Patton, as he processed Logan's words, slowly began to panic, understanding that he meant to stop their tutoring sessions altogether. He was upset by the prospect but wouldn't protest. He felt himself starting to tear up with hurt as Logan faded from his focus, a static beginning to fill his ears. Patton had really believed that Logan enjoyed his company, but he was going to leave him just like his other friends had. Darn emotions, he scolded himself. Don't be so sensitive. If Logan doesn't want to --