- 12 -

This chapter is definitely one of my favorites to write so far! I was so happy with the outcome that I couldn't stop myself from making a digital art piece of it. (Blah blah, don't steal please, you get it.) Yay procrastination!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter as well (I sure did). We're getting close to reaching the end of my pre-written chapters so daily updates will sadly slow down after the next couple of chapters.

In the meantime: subtle Prinxiety.

Roman spent the rest of his day after lunch -- thankfully -- inside. He had been irritable about his umbrella snapping but regained some good feeling after Virgil's out-of-character decision to walk him to the tree.

To Roman's disappointment, when the bell ending sixth period rang, the rain still had not died down. In fact, it had gotten worse. This was especially bad considering Roman's car was out of service for the week and he had to walk.

He was prepared to easily solve the situation by asking one of his friends to drive him, but saw somebody else before he saw one of them: Virgil. The boy was slowly walking through the hallway, making his way to the main door when Roman called out.

"Virgil!" Roman yelled, hurrying his pace to catch up. "Are you walking home?" he asked, hoping they lived near each other.

Virgil turned, an odd look on his face. "Yeah?"

"Where do you live?"

Virgil gave the boy a defensive look. "What does it matter?"

Roman sighed, slowly growing more annoyed. "I don't have a ride home and as you can see --" he gestured to his still damp hair, "-- I'm not really protected from the rain." He gave Virgil a tentative smile. "I just want to know if you live near me -- so we could walk together with your umbrella."

Virgil gave Roman a blank look for a moment. Then said, "I live on Telegram."

Roman frowned, trying to conjure up a map in his mind. "Telegram Avenue off of Barron?"

Virgil hesitated for a second, then nodded.

Roman noted the coincidence -- or good luck, rather -- for Virgil lived only two streets up from him. Looks like our whole chemistry group lives in the same neighborhood this year.

Roman lit up with hope. "Can you walk me? I'm two blocks down from you."

Virgil gave him a once-over of cautious analysis, as if he were wary of accepting in case Roman had some hidden intention. Roman rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to beat you up on the way, Nervous Nelly. I just don't want to get wet."

Virgil sighed and scratched the back of his neck. "Fine. Come on." He opened his umbrella and turned to the door.

The sky had gotten even darker than it had been in the morning and the sidewalk was slick and filled with puddles. The two boys huddled together under the umbrella to stay protected from the downpour, Virgil trying his best to battle the slant of the rain. It didn't help completely, but was much nicer than rushing through the sheets of water hood-less.

Roman found himself scooting closer to Virgil as they left the school grounds. He didn't say anything, hesitant to break the silence -- for once. Virgil just seemed so quiet and contemplated that Roman didn't want to interrupt his thoughts.

The black-clad boy was staring off into the rain, gripping the umbrella with white knuckles. He looked wistful as he stared out at the falling water, like he could stay out there forever, just enjoying the calm. Roman found the expression on Virgil's face intriguing, for it was so unguarded and pure. He caught himself staring and quickly looked away, a blush rising to his cheeks in embarrassment -- a rare occurrence. He prayed Virgil hadn't noticed.