- 45 -

As planned, Logan and Patton departed from the campground a little after eight o'clock on Sunday morning. Logan, being an early riser, had been up since seven, but he had waited quietly, reading, for Patton to awake. Granted, he would have preferred a walk at seven or even earlier, but he didn't want to force Patton to wake earlier than he wished to.

The air was crisp outside, as it had been for the past days, but there was something more tranquil about winter mornings than winter afternoons. It seemed as though the world hadn't quite woken up yet.

The two didn't talk about very much on their way to Heaven Hill. They discussed small, unimportant things like how pretty it was outside or how what they should have for lunch. Logan was only half paying attention to the conversation, for the entire time a confession was resting on his tongue. He had been thinking about Virgil's advice since their first night at the campground, not quite sure if he should say anything -- or, rather, not quite sure he could say anything if he tried.

After a long but still enjoyable walk and conversation, Patton and Logan arrived at the top of the hill. It had taken some scrambling on the loose, chalky rocks, but they'd made it. The two sat down on a wobbly, wood-carved bench, sunbleached and eroded. It had obviously been there for a long time, unsheltered because of the lack of brush and trees at the top of the hill.

Their view overlooked White Water Pond, the outcropping hill's steep edge right up against the water. It was deep and dark down there, the drop off extending down beyond the water's surface. The top of the pond swayed with minuscule waves, pushed by the slight breeze. It would likely become choppier later in the day.

Logan stared out at the water. It was marvelous but the view was not on his mind. He sighed out harshly at himself, feeling the need to delve deeper past meaningless smalltalk. There were things that he wanted to say. "I'm sorry I abandoned you at the dance." His voice carried softly past the edge of the hill and dropped off with the land.

Patton shifted stubbornly beside him."We've talked about this, Logan."

Logan sucked in a deep breath. "I know." He paused for a second, the guilt refusing to fade. "I shouldn't have, though. It was stupid of me -- terrible of me."

Patton pushed the air in his lungs harshly out through his nose, turning sternly. "Logan --"

"You're too nice to me, Patton."

Patton faltered. "That's not true, Logan, and you know it." He shuffled a little closer, the fabric of his jacket catching on the loose splinters of the bench. "You're wonderful." He dropped his head down onto Logan's shoulder.

Suddenly, the white sun felt much warmer beating down on Logan's neck. The breeze seemed to freeze itself in time and Logan had trouble believing that anything else existed in that moment -- that anything else even dared to breath -- other than he and Patton.

The silence lasted for a while -- so long that Logan nearly thought Patton had fallen asleep on his shoulder. But he knew it had only been a couple of minutes.

"Patton..." he began, growing restless. He started tapping his fingers together rapidly.

Out of the sunny haze and light on the water: "Yes?"

"We're good friends, correct?"

"Yes, of course we are."

Logan took a deep breath. "I believe I have somewhat of a confession to make." He paused. "But I want you to promise me that nothing will change after I say it."

Patton didn't speak for a moment. "Okay," he agreed hesitantly.

Logan began shakily, "I..." He trailed off, unable to get more than the single word out. Even that seemed like too much. Wasn't this putting his entire friendship in jeopardy? He tried again. "I just..."