D.I.V.R - 1

D.I.V.R - 1

.:Helena:.

Not many people could say they had killed an Alien. Now I, Helena Desaus, could say that I did just that. It was my first alien kill and it felt fantastic. I was one of the few that had been taken to a Safehaven before making contact with an alien. That was six months ago though. Now I was ready, gun in hand. My excitement at killing one of the horrid creatures wasn't long lived. I heard my friend Rebecca yell at me to duck before another of the aliens flung himself at me. 

My best friend had my back though, like always. I heard the swing of her deadly sword and the creepy squeal of the alien before it dropped to the floor. I looked down at it, headless... nice. The others in our group were already to the apartment building to where the humans were trapped. I had to run to keep up, my training kicking in. Rebecca and I entered the apartment building at the same time. 

The lights were out, but it was nine am in the morning so there was enough light coming in through the high windows for us to see well enough. Climbing the stairs silently, we went up to the rooftop. The building was four stories high so we made it to the top fairly quickly. No aliens came at us, but they would soon smell us out if we didn't hurry. The leader of our seven person group, Doris, signaled us to open the door. 

Sunlight filled the staircase and one by one we quietly stepped on to the rooftop. The humans in need were there. I noticed two older men, a teenage girl, two teenage guys, and a little girl. Doris ordered us to keep the newly found civilians in between our group. We left the rooftop and began the climb down the stairs. The civilians were fast, one of the older men carried the little girl in his arms. 

Shaking off the sad feeling, I pushed on. There was no time to grieve for those we had lost. Words from our trainers. We reached the ground level and heard some gun shots. No doubt our snipers were out there, on the rooftops. Gun shots always meant one thing, we were surrounded. I whipped out another gun as Doris nodded to us and opened the door. 

Sure enough the dirty aliens were everywhere. I was able to count about sixteen of them before I began shooting. We kept the civilians in a tight circle. I shot one of them in the head and watched it fall. They must have just fed because they were fast. One of them got too close to the civilians and I threw myself on him. Placing my gun behind his neck, I shot. 

I hated getting dirty, but our orders were to protect the civilians and get them back safely. I watched as a man in our team became ambushed by three aliens. It was too late as one of them held him while the other two began to take bites out of him. I tried not to cringe, to be brave. One of the snipers took out all three aliens from the rooftop. The man lay motionless and bleeding. 

We were down to about five more aliens when Doris ordered Rebecca to get the van. I stayed by the civilians and took out an alien as it tried to follow my friend. Doris took out another one with her bare hands. She was a leader for a reason. The three left standing decided it would be a better idea to run away so they did just that. 

Less than a minute later, we heard the sound of tires screeching. Rebecca was there with the large van. We cleared a path, allowing the civilians to get in the van before us. I paused looking back at where our fallen team mate was. I was about to protest leaving his body behind before we heard the loud clang like sirens. 

We all knew that was the sound of the alien air crafts. I shut the door to the van after everyone was inside and hit the side door. The van sped off, leaving me behind. It wasn't long before William's motorcycle was before me. I hoped on behind him, wrapping my arms securely around him before he took off quickly. Air crafts usually meant more aliens and we would clearly be out numbered. Besides, we wanted to be long gone before they could catch our scent and follow it to the Safehaven. 

It was my sixteenth birthday when I heard about the alien invasion. My father had been at work, but he had let me use his credit card to throw myself a party and buy whatever I wanted. My dad was one of those people that thought money could buy happiness. If that were true, he would have probably been able to pay the aliens to let him live. 

I remembered the party I threw. My closest friends were invited, one of them being Rebecca. I became worried when Rebecca didn't show up. She had been my friend since we were six years old. She wasn't one to just forget my party. I became worried, thinking it was her illness again. Except when I called, she sounded alright but a bit frantic. 

Hearing her beg me to go to the peer, no questions asked, I did just that. I would trust her with my life. Without even saying goodbye to my party guests, I grabbed my purse and headed outside. I was glad when I ran into William, another one of my friends. I had met him when I was eleven and he was thirteen. He moved in next door to my father and I and I remember our instant hatred for each other. 

Why did I hate him? Well, I was trying to teach myself how to ride a bike since my dad never had time and he laughed at me for having training wheels at eleven years of age. The years passed and as we got older, we became friends. He still made me mad sometimes because he still makes fun of me, to this day. Anyways, I ran into William and he looked shaken and distant. 

This was not normal for funny and cocky William. He didn't say much to me, but I knew he was troubled. I looked at him, confused. 

"What's wrong? I was just going to the peer." I had said. 

"Nothing. We have to go. The peer is supposed to be safe. Who told you to go there?" He had asked, taking my arms and leading me to his motorcycle. 

"What do you mean by safe? Rebecca told me to go there, well more like demanded for me to go there. Are you guys playing a joke on me?" I asked, but as I heard screaming and a loud clang sound I knew something serious was going on. He hadn't responded, just kept quiet until we got to the peer and I was finally informed of what was going on. 

One minute I was a lonely teenage girl that took too much for granted and now I was forced to grow up and fight an alien apocalypse. So much had changed but at least I got to keep my brave and caring best friend and my annoying cocky neighbor that made me feel at home. I didn't realize that I had squeezed him until I heard his chuckle. I rolled my eyes as he continued to drive away from town. The Safehaven was about twenty five minutes away from town, closer to the lake as the aliens despised water. 

A couple of minutes later, William pulled the motorcycle up to the large gates of the Safehaven. At the security checkpoint, I lifted my long brown curls away from the back of my ear and waited to be scanned. We each had an identification chip behind our left ear to prove we were human and in the correct Safehaven. The van was right behind us as we were allowed to enter. We passed the dogs that were kept by the entrance as they could smell aliens if they got too close. 

William parked his bike by camp and I hopped off, yawning slightly. It was still morning, but sleep was not something you were able to do often. My guard times were from seven pm to twelve am so that made sleeping kind of hard. Besides being tired, I was hungry. 

"Let's go get some food. Killing aliens makes me hungry." I said to William as he turned off the bike and hopped off. 

"How many did you get?" He asked curiously. 

"Like two or three. You?" I grinned. 

"Nice. Not bad for your first mission. I got about four, including the ones that got to Craner." He said. I then knew who it was that we had lost today. 

"That was Craner? I'm sorry, Liam. I didn't know." She said, touching his arm lightly. Craner had been seen as a bit crazy, a man in his late twenties that had been very daring. 

Just then, Rebecca caught up to us, putting her light brown hair in a a ponytail. I smiled at her and gave her a hug, she hugged me back as always. She released me and her gold-green eyes looked me over like a protective sister. I knew she was about to ask me if I was okay, but then we heard it... the loud clang like sirens. All three of us looked towards the sky as we readied our weapons.