D.I.V.R - 6

D.I.V.R - 6

.:Rebecca:.

Once I finished changing into appropriate training gear, I grabbed my sword and headed for the training area. I fastened my sash and slipped the sword back into the scabbard. Many people preferred guns as their weapons, but I had chosen my Jian, double edged straight sword, for a very good reason. I remember my brothers face when my father got him his first sword, at fourteen. I was only a year younger than him, but I had always been the one to tease him. 

My Brother, Eric, had been into martial arts and sword fighting since he was nine. My parents put him in martial arts at that age and they made me sign up as well. My brother and I had been in martial arts for three years together before my heart decided to stop functioning like a normal heart. I had my second surgery and wasn't allowed to do martial arts anymore. Eric continued and became a Kung Fu master. 

He gave me the sword I have now before leaving for college. I neared the training are and wiped a tear that had slipped away. I didn't know if Eric was alive, but something told me that he was. He would fight the aliens. They wouldn't stand a chance against him. 

I looked around for Helena and couldn't find her anywhere. Shrugging, I went to sit up front by my dad. What he had told me earlier had really scared me. I felt him touch my hand and I turned and gave him a warm smile. My dad looked up at me and smiled as well. Everyone always told him he looked like Johnny Cash, he even did his hair like him. 

I on the other hand, looked like my mother. My mother who was of Bulgarian decent. When people complimented me or told me I was beautiful, I wished I could show them the truest beauty. A flash of her dead body, eyes no longer in her skull. The aliens had left her for dead, but taken her beautiful golden eyes with them. 

Thankfully, our trainer began to speak before I could think any further. My attention was on the stage, my eyes briefly meeting Parker's. He was standing by Doris, watching me. I flushed, wondering how long he had been looking at me. I looked away and watched our trainer, Sean, speak. 

"Today's training will be very important. We have some new people with us today and usually I don't like new recruits to be sent out, but we have no choice. It has been brought to my attention that our food supply has dropped drastically." Sean said. "We must take a supply sooner then anticipated." He paused and gave Parker a signal to join him. 

"On their way in, Parker and his team spotted a large store that seamed abandoned. There was no aliens within range. Unfortunately, the store is about seven hours away from us." There was soft murmurs in the crowd. "A team will be sent out to retrieve the supplies, rest, and come straight back." He said and looked at Parker. 

"We also spotted some farms and gas stations so we will be able to grab supplies there as well. This will be a large mission, but we understand some of your needs. We have already chosen the group that Doris and I will be taking." Parker said, nodding towards Sean. 

"Go on ahead and begin training. We will go to you individually and let you know if you have been recruited for the mission." Sean finished and we all stood. 

I told my dad I would see him later. He told me to be careful and I went off to the training areas. I noticed Helena and went to her. She was standing by Shane, great. When she saw me, she smiled and waved me over. 

"Shane is gonna shoot that crossbow, show the trainers what he's got." Helena said. I raised a brow. 

"You're not honestly trying to get recruited to go on the mission, right?" I ask. 

"That's precisely what I'm doing, Rebecca." He said, beginning to walk towards the shooting and archery field. Sighing, I followed him and Helena. 

We passed by Trude, hacking away at a dummy with a long battle axe. I nodded, impressed. I reminded myself that I was being too judgemental lately. Looking at Shane, I thought maybe I should give him a chance. We arrived at the shooting spot and I spotted William, Parker, and Doris walking towards us. We were getting recruited, I knew it. 

I couldn't quite mask my excitement. Glad to just be out of the Safehaven and to be of use. They paused in front of us and Parker gave us a curt nod, his eyes lingering on mine for a moment. 

"Helena, Shane, and William. You guys have been recruited." He looked up at them. "Any objections?" He asked. They shook their heads and Parker began to move along to the next recruits. 

"Wait, I do Object. Why wasn't I recruited? I go everywhere with Liam and Helena." I said, panic showing on my face. I looked to Doris for support and she frowned shaking her head. "Doris, tell him. I've been training for so long, please." I pleaded with her. 

"You will be needed here, Rebecca. Don't shoot that look at me. Parker chose the line up." She sighed and walked away towards Trude. Parker was still in front of me, a satisfied look on his face. 

"Is this because of the alien thing? Look, I'm sorry. I'll do whatever you want to make it up. I just... I can't stay here while my best friends are out on a mission, I can't." My lower lip quivered slightly and I bit down on it to stop it. 

"Sorry doesn't bring back the alien. And the line up is final. You can't go, end of story." He says sternly, turning to walk to where Doris is talking to Trude. I want to scream, to be heard for once. Instead I turn to find Helena and William looking at me with sad expression. 

I put a smile on my face and shrug. I wouldn't want them to worry about me, when I'd be the one worrying about them. They would be off on a mission, without me. While I stayed behind at the Safehaven. Parker had made the list. He was the one I should be mad at and I was. 

"This is so wrong. Jeez, I hate that Parker guy. Comes back here and prances around like he owns the place." Helena huffed after training classes were done. We were walking back to our tents and my guard duties started in two hours. 

"Hey, someone has to stay behind and take care of the Safehaven." I told her. I was still upset, but had worked most of it off. 

"I guess, but how could they split us us, Becky? This is so unfair. It's all Parker's fault." She growled, bending to step into our tent. 

"Technically, it's the aliens we should be blaming." I reminded her as I also stepped into our tent. 

Helena could easily stand in our tent but I, being a bit taller, had to bend slightly. I took off my sash and sword, placing it on my cot. 

"You'll be by yourself here though." Trude said softly. 

"I won't. I'll have dad and Sean. Don't worry about me, Leni." I sat on the cot and put my face in my hands. "It's you that I'll be worried about. You and William." I said, voice cracking. 

Helena sat by me and hugged me close. I cried softly, only able to do this in front of her. We had made a deal to be strong and never cry, only privately and with each other. When Helena's mother had committed suicide, she held in her tears for three days until she was able to come to my house and cry in my room. We had only been ten years old. She held me as I cried. Mostly out of fear and worry.