D.I.V.R - 5

D.I.V.R - 5

.:Helena:.

The meeting had begun by the time we arrived at the white tent. I followed Rebecca and William to some empty seats, and signaled for Shane and Trude to follow. I sat nect to William and looked ahead at the speaker. The speaker was Brian, one of the team leaders. He was talking away as to us needing more training and explaining to the new people how any of their skills could be used. I just wanted to know more about the alien in the hovercraft. 

Knowing they wouldn't start talking about that just yet, I turned to Liam and leaned in closer to him.

"Why aren't we making fun of Brian's monotone voice?" I whispered to him. Liam was usually the one that made jokes with her. This new, quiet William wasn't the one she was used to. He looked at me and shook his head slightly. 

"Just not in the mood, I guess." He shrugged and turned to whisper something to Rebecca. I bit my lip in confusion as Becca smiled and nodded. 

I releases my lower lip and crossed my arms, turning my attention to Brian. I had no idea why Liam was acting that way towards me. Rebecca was being quiet as well, but she was always like that around a lot of people. I heard William's quiet chuckle, but wouldn't look over at them again. Nothing was going on between them, no. If there was something going on between them, they would have told me. 

Parker's voice int erupted my thoughts. Good, they were getting to the alien thing. I listened to Parker as he explained how he and his team had been captured and abducted by the aliens. This surprised me as he continued to say that they formed a plan and high jacked the plane, killing most of the aliens. 

"Now I say most because we captured two. Unfortunately, we lost one." He said. I could hear gasps and murmuring from the residents of the Safehaven. "It died, but we still have one more living." Parker continued. 

"Now, one of the reasons why we captured it is obvious. They abduct us, we abduct them. With the help of my father and other scientists we will examine the body. Find weak points, ways to better kill them." He paused to look around the room. "And we have found a way to communicate with it. It would be very helpful if we were to get information about the plan and who exactly is the leader." Parker said and all around the room there was nods of approval. 

"We will be moving the alien to the hospital tent to perform the exam. We ask the civilians to stay away from the hospital tent. During training today, we will discuss with the team as to how we will do the guarding. Thank you." He finished. And with that, everyone began to speak their approval. 

Some civilians looked frightened. Mothers holding their children close. Some people protested as to how this was uncivil, but they were over ruled. I didn't know what to think. I mean, what if that thing got loose or called for help? These were all rational thoughts. I turned to Liam and noticed he was gone. Rebecca was talking to her dad with a worried expression on her face. 

I waited until Becca's dad left before I walked over to her. By the look on her face, I could tell it was bad news. 

"What's going on?" I asked, worried. She looked at me and shook her head, taking my hand and leading me towards the back of the tent. 

"You can't tell anyone, Helena. Promise me." She whispered. 

"What, why? You're scaring me." I said, but then looked at her stern expression and nodded. "Alright, fan. I promise." I said. 

"We're running out of food. My dad says there will only be enough to last the Safehaven two weeks." She said, looking down and frowning. 

"Becca, they will just send us on a food run." I assured her. 

"No, don't you understand? We've already retrieved the food from nearby places. We would have to go further out, and that's no guarantee we will find food." Her voice was a bit frantic. I touched her shoulder lightly and looked straight at her. 

"They'll find a way. We will be okay, I promise." I told her gently as I looked around the tent. We'd probably be meeting for training soon. 

"Look, let's go to the training area and we will find out more about it. Okay?" I added, taking her hand. 

"Okay." She nodded and we both left the tent. 

We arrived to the training area early, we were one of the first ones there. Aside from Shane and Trude. They were currently scoping out the weapons. I had my guns, never went far without them. Hearing Rebecca gasp slightly, I turned to her confused. 

"I just realized I left my sword back at the tent and I suppose I should pyt some shorts or pants on." She shook her head lightly. "Doris would kill me if she sees me training in a skirt. I'll be back." She said before dashing off towards the living tents. 

Sighing, I walked over to the twins. Shane currently had a crossbow in his hand, weighing it and admiring it. I couldn't help but notice that he looked even cuter with a weapon. I chuckled lightly and this got their attention. They both turned to me, Shane smiled. 

I smiled back and didn't let it bother me that Trude simply looked me up and down. She turned back to the weapons, completely ignoring me. 

"Find anything you might like?" I asked. 

"I'm really liking this crossbow, I'm itching to try it out." Shane said, running his fingers over the crossbow gently. 

"Training doesn't begin for a couple minutes. Want to go try it out?" I asked, smiling up at him. His eyes brightened. 

"Fantastic! I mean, yes. I'd love to try this bad boy out." He grinned back at me. I noticed he had a single dimple, cute. 

Turning, I signaled for him to follow me. Trude ignored us and stayed by the weapons. I led him towards the archery field that was further back in an open field. He walked beside me, letting out a low whistle when we arrived at a field. 

"So, there is beauty left in this world." He said then looked at me. "But of course, you are beautiful as well." He added, flashing me his charming smile. 

I blushed and gave him room to practice using the crossbow. He turned, grabbing a bolt and positioning. She watched as he drew the string up until it clicked in place. It was silent until he took the shot. There was a loud smacking sound and before she knew it, the bolt was stuck in the bulls-eye. 

I gasped, amazed at the power of the weapon and the grace in which Shane used it. He was more than just ridiculously handsome. I stood and watched in awe as he released another bolt. It landed just above the first one. The third one almost went through the target. 

He looked back at me and nodded in approval. His blond hair shaded his brown-green eyes, but his smile showed he had found his weapon. 

"This one is a bit bigger than the one I have at home, but it works brilliantly." He said, putting the crossbow down. 

"I would never be able to even lift that thing." I smiled, remembering how heavy it was. 

Before he could respond, a soft whistle sounded. That was a signal training had started. Crap, we'd be late. I took Shane's hand and ran with him through the empty field and down towards the training meeting. We arrived late. Most people dismissed us, other glared, and then there was Liam. Looking at me with his deep brown eyes. His eyes fell to mine and Liam's hands and an expression I couldn't understand crossed his face. I let go of Shane's hand and my attention went to the trainer and the other leaders.