Chapter 10

Hikaru’s Point of View:

I couldn’t find them. The wreckage was too great. There was too much wood. Haruhi was the one to spot them. A hand coming out from under a pile of wood. We ran to them and started digging through the broken wood. Haruhi called an ambulance and told them where to come. It was urgent. Neither were awake. Their breathing was highly shallow and fading. They needed help instantly.

The ambulance came. They took my brother and his lover away. Haruhi was crying her eyes out. I had to stay strong for her, but this was all my fault. I said he had to get Kaoru’s attention. How was I to know he’d climb up there?

A week had passed by and neither had woken up. The doctor said it might be time to say goodbye. There was no way I was going to say goodbye to Kaoru. Me and Kaoru. We were born together, we grew up together, we only had each other. The plan was that we died together too. If he died, I would lose my mind and be alone. There was no way I was going to say goodbye to my twin brother.

A stir.

The respirator started to make a noise. The heart monitor kicked into life. Kaoru’s eyes opened slowly. My brother was alive.

“Be gentle with him” The doctor spoke and left the room.

Kaoru’s Point of View:

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes were the relieved eyes of Hikaru. I couldn’t tell you what had happened or why he was so worried. I couldn’t tell you where I was or why I had a breathing respirator over my mouth. I couldn’t tell you why I couldn’t move my body without there being a lot of pain.

“Hey” Hikaru spoke. He pulled his phone out, sent a quick text and then put it away. I assumed he was texting Haruhi, but then Tamaki, Honey and Mori walked in. No Haruhi. What had happened? Why does everyone look so relieved that I’m awake. “Do you want to sit up? I can get you a glass of water.” Hikaru said. I tried to sit up but the pain stopped me. Hikaru’s hand supported me to get me up and then I could see the issue. A hospital room. Why was I here? “I’ll get you some water.”

I took the breathing mask off. I didn’t need it.

“W-what happened?” My voice was hoarse from lack of liquid going down it and every word was painful to get out.

“Treehouse” Mori-Senpai spoke.

“You gave us a fright Kao-chan. You and Kyo-chan fell.” Honey-Senpai said.

My mind flipped. I saw Kyoya up there. I climbed up there. I gripped onto him and then the treehouse vanished from under us.

The heart monitor beeped faster.

“Is Kyoya alright?” I said quickly. Everything went quiet. “Is he alright?” I almost yelled. The pain was still there.

Hikaru gave me the water.

“He’s alive if that is what you’re asking” Hikaru answered for me.

“Let me go see him.”

“You won’t like what you see”

“Let me go see him” I repeated. Hikaru nodded.

They put me on a wheelchair and took me to his room. Haruhi and Fuyumi were in there with him. I guess that’s why she didn’t come into my room, Kyoya couldn’t be alone.

Kyoya was battered and bruised all down his face, neck and body. There was a bandage around the stump of where his left arm used to be. His leg was put in plaster. This was worse than the first time I saw him in hospital.

“Take me closer.” I said. Hikaru obliged. I started to stroke his hair. “I’m sorry Kyoya.” I whispered. I took his mask off and placed a gentle kiss on his cold but soft lips. Then the heart monitor started to fade. I put the mask back on quickly but the emergency button had to be pushed.

It happened in a flash. The doctors came running in. We got kicked out of the room. The door shut. I kept thinking: I’ve killed him. I’ve killed my Kyoya.

I was in shock.

Haruhi’s Point of View:

Kaoru hadn’t killed him, though I bet he felt like he had. He was sat shaking waiting for them doors to open again and the doctors to tell us the news. They eventually did open. It was about 5 hours later though. The doctor had a smile on his face and then opened the door wide so we could see Kyoya.

“He’s awake.” The doctor said. Kaoru, though he was probably still in pain and was drugged up to help that, jumped out of the wheelchair and almost fell through the door. Hikaru caught him and helped him get to Kyoya.

Kyoya was busy looking at his left hand, or lack of a left hand. He had to have it amputated because when he fell a load of wood fell on his arm and completely crushed part of it beyond repair.

“I can still feel my hand…” He spoke quietly. “An odd feeling.”

Kaoru climbed on the bed and laid his head on Kyoya’s chest. He was crying. Kyoya didn’t understand why Kaoru was crying by the look on his face, but he wrapped his arms around the younger male anyway.

“I’m sorry Senpai.” Kaoru said.

“It’s okay Kaoru, I’m sorry too” Kyoya responded.

Kyoya’s Point of View:

I got discharged from the hospital a week later. Hikaru and Kaoru invited me to live with them, which- to get away from my father- I accepted.

We weren’t ready to face the school again. We just needed rest. Of course we got that rest… Okay me and Kaoru never rested. As soon as we were able to move again without it hurting us we were back to being active. Our bodies pressed against each other just like our lips. I bet Haruhi and Hikaru were getting annoyed with us.

Kaoru was in the kitchen. I walked in on him when he was reaching for something on the top shelf. I know he has maids to do this sort of thing for him, but since we could move we both decided we were going to do it ourselves to get our bodies back in gear. I assume he was after a glass. I reached up to help him, but I tried to do it with my left hand- which I no longer had. He looked at me and I reached with the right hand instead.

“Kyoya…” He whispered.

“I’m okay. Just not used to not having it yet.” He nodded and poured himself a glass of water. What I meant by ‘not used to not having it yet’ is ‘not used to being useless yet.’ If I said that to Kaoru he would probably argue with me.

“Well your new arm will be here soon” He said. I nodded. I doubt I’ll be useful with somebody else’s arm. “And the doctor is certain that he can connect the nerve endings so you will be able to use it like it was your own.” I let out a sigh.

“Kaoru, I don’t care any more.” I walked away.

“Senpai.” He called out. “Senpai notice me!” I turned back and walked to him. He pulled me into a kiss.

“I did notice you Kaoru.”