Chapter 29: One heart

In the midst of sorrow, the blood stain on Prince Wang Eun's sleeve reminded me that the wound has yet to be attended. I wiped my tears away and took a deep breath to boost positivity as I continued to suggest, "We need to get your wound cleaned soon. It wouldn't be good to leave it infected." 

I reached out my hands towards his outer wear, attempting to remove the coat for him however; before my fingertips touched his collar, Prince Wang Eun mumbled in a low tone.

"Just leave it." 

"What are you talking about? This isn't the time to be stubborn. Just let me clean your wound for you." I got a little forceful and went against Prince Wang Eun's will as I removed his coat. 

"Didn't you heard what I just said?! I don't need to be treated! Just leave me alone and get out!" He threw a fit and distanced himself away from me, vigorously snatching back his coat and scrunching his face up in pain.

It was obvious that the wounded area had worsened over the period of time.

"Fine! Do whatever you like! I don't give a damn anymore!" I yelled back angrily and left the room storming. 

What have things become of? It wasn't my intention to make our relationship turn bad. Why was Prince Wang Eun venting his anger on me when all I ever did was worrying about him? 

Careful footsteps drew closer towards me and a pair of gentle hands gripped mine. I looked up sadly only to be comforted by Aunt Sunny's warm smile as she comforted me in peace. 

"A-Yeon ah...I will go and treat his wounds. Don't fret too much." She nodded assuringly as she let go of my hands and entered the room. 

//

Just like that, a week had passed ever since we escaped the palace together. We dared not to venture out to town in fear that there might still be King Jeong Jong's guard on the look out to capture us. We had no idea what's happening outside and I'm starting to get worried about the rest of them who were stuck inside.

I hope Hae Soo's safe with Prince Wang So...

I haven't got a chance to see Prince Wang Eun either ever since we fought. I feared I might bring him more harm if I insisted on seeing him. He had just lost everyone and everything he'd ever had too. 

Aunt Sunny was constantly reporting the condition of Prince Wang Eun's wound to me daily as well, and I knew he's feeling much better on the outside. Now that we're no longer going back, I wonder how's our lives going to be. 

Taking up the courage to talk to Prince Wang Eun again, I stood outside his room and knocked on the door. 

"May I come in?" I questioned cautiously.

Seeming that there's no response, I boldly entered the room without permission. And there he was, sitting across that table with his head held low. He must still be feeling miserable and confused. It breaks my heart to see the once cheerful prince in such a state.

Both of us sat awkwardly facing one another. None breaking the silence as we waited for an opportunity. I took a deep breath as I started.

"I see that your wound had recovered." 

Prince Wang Eun merely nodded after a moment of silence. I looked down to my nervous hands, in thought of what to say next. 

"I know that you're still blaming yourself for your wife's death...but none of us knew what had come after us and it's inevitable." I finally got us talking about the topic that we've been trying to avoid for a week.

"I hope you will stop and start afresh with me. For your own sake and future, I wish you could live along with me." 

"I..." Prince Wang Eun sadly looked at me, hesitating. "H-Hasn't anyone from the palace find us?"