Chapter 32: An old friend

"Same question to you!" I retaliated defensively. 

Who knows if he might be a spy and had actually found out about our intention? If that's the case, we're really screwed.

"I'm here for my own reasons. Princess...perhaps you're here for my brother?" Prince Wang Jung totally sees through us. I mean, who wouldn't? Supposing how we randomly appears at some temple at the top of a mountain with several men. 

"Princess? Did you just call her Princess?" The old monk that was still inside the prayers room a while ago was now out in the cold with an unbelievable expression on his face. He walked closer to me with a pained expression as if we've already met for a long time.

The rest of us exchanged weird gazes with one another as we were totally confused by the sudden reaction of the old monk. A while ago he was totally unfriendly and unapproachable as he seemed to hurry us off. What's with the sudden reaction now? 

Seeing that I didn't respond to him, he suddenly called by the name that I haven't heard for a thousand years.

"Yeonu ah..." He cried.

My eyes grew wide as if they might pop out of my sockets any time. This name...how did he know? Only my master and step father, as well as my mates knew about my fake name. No others knew about this. Perhaps...

"M-master Shin?" It's been a while since I last said this name and it felt nostalgic. 

However, the old monk simply shook his head as he cried. His arms reaches to hold me and I flinched a little. "No...I am the student of Master Shin. He had already passed on sadly a few years ago. He had told me stories of his favorite student before he left the world. He mentioned that Yeonu will come back here in the future and that I must assist you no matter what."

"I can't believe you're really a princess...He had told me about your secret and he strictly wanted me to pass on something to you." 

My heart pangs after hearing that the master who often reprimands me had already passed on before I got a chance to meet him again. "H-he...how?" I choked.

"He had lung cancer. Yeonu ah...no...Princess, will you follow me to my room?" The old monk tightened his grip, urging me to follow him. 

"Princess Hwa Yeon, it wouldn't be safe..." General Park leaned in close to whisper.

I merely shook my head as I proceeded to say, "It's fine. It won't be too long." I reassured him.

As I past by Prince Wang Jung, we exchanged looks without a single word. I could hear General Park addressing him from afar as I followed closely behind the old monk.

//

"How am I to address you?" I asked politely. 

"You can call me Master Oh." Master Oh smiled as he offered a seat to me. "I really couldn't believe you're really back to the temple, Princess. How could I have not recognised you with those feminine features?"

"Princess, do forgive me and my junior for the impoliteness earlier on." Master Oh bowed as he apologised.

"Please, you mentioned that Master Shin had something to give me?" I was eager to find out what Master Shin could have wanted to give me.  

"Oh yes...please wait for a while." Master Oh said as he walked towards his drawer, pulling out a sheet of paper which already turned yellowish.

He must have waited for me for a long time.

Master Oh placed the letter on the table and gently pushed it to me. I reached out and nervously opened the letter to read.

Yeonu ah, it's been a while. How have you been? I don't know if I am supposed to spill this secret to you...but you're actually a true blood princess. In fact, the reason why we allowed people to celebrate the Autumn Festival was to assist your mother so that she would be able to see you. I remember she had pleaded me seriously, and I saw the future in you. 

Remember one time when a woman generously gave you a coloured mooncake but I heartlessly threw it away so that you wouldn't eat it? That woman...was actually Queen Yoo. She had poisoned the mooncake and wanted to kill you. She knew you were alive all these time.

Yeonu ah...would you promise me one thing? Please...no matter what you must the one to lead Goryeo.

I was devastated and confused after reading the letter that Master Shin had written for me. Queen Yoo already knew I was the daughter of the King even though she once tried to poison my mother? How cruel and evil of her to have made use of a happy occasion to assassinate me while I was young and innocent.

"Princess...?" Master Oh called out gently and I looked up to him with blurry eyes. 

"Master Shin...He wants me to lead Goryeo." I cried silently. 

"What?!" The old monk was shocked as well and was dumbfounded.

"How could I...when I'm here to help Prince Wang So be King?" I didn't know what to do anymore. How could I be King when there's already one on the throne? I can't possibly get rid of him when I already promised my best friend to help him no matter what.

"Princess..." 

"If that is what Master Shin truly wants, I will convince the monks in this temple to help you to get to the place on that throne. To be honest, we haven't been getting benefit since the first King's enthronement. The royal family had often threaten to burn this temple down if we do not tell them your whereabouts. They were all out to get you so that the King would never knew of your existence. Do forgive our sins as we were really helpless." 

Master Oh explained and lowered his head down once again with regrets. 

"I can't...I can't be King. Not when I've already come this far. That place...doesn't fit me." I said sorrowfully as I rejected the monk's idea.

"But...! Princess, this has always been Master Shin's last wish! If you do not fulfil his wish, he will be very upset and our temple will be in for even more threats!" 

"No. I will ask Prince Wang So not to disturb you all anymore after he's up on the throne. I promise I will end this threat for you all." Suddenly, I had a strong urge of determination that I will certainly capture King JeongJong and bring everything to an end. 

"Do you perhaps heard of King JeongJong's hide out?" I tried to ask Master Oh for clues as they were in contact with the royal family. They must know certain things. 

"No...I'm afraid not. They never associate us with their secrets but demanded us to spill ours. I'm sorry I couldn't give you much help, Princess." Master Oh was regretful even though previously he wanted to give me his 100% help. 

"Last time, there was a monk from my batch who had fallen in to the river but managed to get back alive all on his own. Do you remember if he's still here?" I continued to pry on hoping to get that important clue. 

"I think I have some memory of it...I was there too when he came back. Everyone was shocked and surprised as it was a miracle to survive that rushing water. I shall find that monk for you as soon as possible." 

We both had an agreement before I returned to my men. Master Oh had assured me he would ask the monk about how he survived back then once he locate the right person from my batch. 

"I shall get one of my juniors to inform you once I know the truth." Master Oh said as he sent us to the gates.

I nodded firmly as a confirmation. 

"Princess Hwa Yeon, have you found out about any clues?" General Park questioned me as he eyed the old monk suspiciously.

"I will tell you when we get back to camp. By the way, where did Prince Wang Jung go?" I asked as he was nowhere in sight. I wanted to know if he was here to spy on us.

"He already left for his own business. Rest assured he isn't a spy. In fact, he confessed that he's finding the hideout as well. He will inform us if anything were to happen." General Park explained.

I nodded once again and we all returned the camp to wait for Prince Wang So's arrival. Everything seemed to be going smoothly and I even had a few close people that provided much help to me. 

I sure hope we will be able to find hideout soon before King JeongJong disappears.