Chapter 33: On fire

It had prolonged another week of capturing ex King Jeong Jong as we continued to digging information from various parties about the secret base.

Midnight was here to greet us all when we weren't finished discussing our plans. A black shadow tricked our eyes as a man fully dressed in dark clothing appeared behind Prince Wang So.

He leaned in and whispered something to Prince Wang So as we all stared. The expression on the prince slowly turned bad as if he had heard something terrible.

"We must execute our plan first thing at dawn. The ex King had planned to escape tomorrow morning now that our secret had leaked." Prince Wang So decided firmly after the secret conversation.

Choi Ji Mong, who had accompanied on the mission sighed. "We had wasted much time. If the ex King escaped, Goryeo would be in real danger. The palace would fall in to the enemies' hand."

"We can't let that happen. Prince Wang So, please tell me what to do. I will instruct my troops to prepare for tomorrow's battle." General Park had spoken up and he bowed towards the Prince, awaiting for orders.

"We will move out at dawn. I will head straight towards the enemies den with Ji Mong. You will help me to locate the exact location with the help of the stars. And Princess Hwa Yeon."

The Prince turned to me as he continued, "You shall defend me by standing on guard outside the temple perimeter. In case our prisoner attempted to escape via the temple."

"Right." I nodded firmly.

"General Park, can I trust that you stand guard at the camp incase Princess Hwa Yeon needed extra help?" 

"Your orders are my command." General Park agreed.

With clear instructions for each of our own duties, we all went ahead to get prepared for tomorrow's war. It certainly would be tiring and hectic as we can't afford failure.

I looked up upon the stars as I prayed to my Father and Mother.

We will finally be at peace. Please help me in capturing that murderer.

I felt a presence from behind and General Park stood beside me. He gazed up to the skies as he took out a breath.

"This could all be over. Soon Deok will finally be at peace. If she's alive, she'd surely begged me to join this mission with you."

He chuckled as he smiled towards the night sky.

"I doubt I'll be looking forward to nothing once everything's over. Somehow I thought I am able to seek revenge for my daughter right now. But when King Jeong Jong's executed...what could I possibly look forward to?"

An air of melanchony surrounded him as I stared in to that fatherly face. I felt the same feeling as General Park. I wouldn't have anything to look forward to. What more of someone I could protect since Prince Wang Eun's back in the palace.

"The temple's on fire!" One of the guard shouted suddenly and we all panicked as we directed our attention towards the direction of the temple.

Indeed there were heavy smoke rising from that area.

"No..." I mumbled to myself as I thought of the negative possibilities.

Out of impulse, I ran forward and took the sword from the storage and charged out of the camp.

"Princess Hwa Yeon!" I heard General Park crying after me but I couldn't stop.

"GET TO YOUR POSITIONS! WE'RE MOVING OUT NOW!" Prince Wang So commanded and my guards followed quickly behind me.

I was anxious and exhausted as I was getting out of breath from running. Master's face kept appearing in my mind as I ran.

"Princess!" I heard the guard shouting and the sounds of a few horses racing towards my direction.

"A horse will be faster!" The guard suggested and I jumped up hurriedly on the horse, taking the lead first without a care for my guards.

Please don't let anything happen to you!

I prayed eagerly in my heart as the horse ran as fast as it could to our destination.

As we were closer to the temple, the fire was ablaze and torturous screamings could be heard from the distance.

"It's too dangerous!" The guard warned but I was agitated

"We have to save the temple! My Master's still inside!" I yelled at the top of my lungs as I tried to get the horse moving.

"Come on!" I forced as I felt my tears forming in my eyes.

The smoke was too much and I started coughing and gasping for air.

"We have to go, Princess Hwa Yeon!" My guards were warning me despite my stubbornness but I just couldn't let it be.

What if Master's stuck inside? He could die from the fire! I...I need to get to him...

Tears trickled down my face as several parts of the temple started to crumble from a far distance.

Things shouldn't have gone this way. We were too slow in preventing such mishaps.

It was all madness and a horrfying dream for me as I felt myself being forced away from my chance in saving my Master. I have yet gotten someone I cared to death.

When we were back to the camp, a few enemies had in fact invaded our space. I realised it was General Park who had came to my rescue by leaving his position.

"Surely you have the cheek to chase after us! Let's see who will fall to surrender first!" The head of the clan bellowed as he started slashing the people.

"Fat chance!" General Park roared back and attacked.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! BRING ME BACK MY MASTER!" I screamed as I charged forward like an insane woman; slashing everybody whose in my way as I have held the hatred for too long.

My horse and the enemy leader's horse collided towards each other and I fell off from it with a huge impact.

Thousand needles spreaded across my body and it felt as if a heavy object had crashed my bones. But I had not come to die.

In fact, I pulled myself up from the pain and dragged my body towards the evil leader.

His face was scrunched in pain. Blood was trickling from his forehead. His body was numb and paralyzed to the ground.

"You deserve this." He spat before giving a painful laugh.

My arms raises my sword above my head and without a second thought, I forced my body down as I presses the sword down right in the middle of his chest.

Blood oozes out from his mouth and his eyeballs glared back in to mine as if they were ready to pop out of their sockets. His face turned crimson red and it seemed as if he had finally gotten all the pain he deserved.

"Go to hell." I cursed as I pushes harder down until I felt the tip of my sword reaching the grass underneath the body.