Smoke

They used a clever rope and pulley system, attached to a basket with a door in it, to descend from the heights of the tree. She hadn't known the beautifully-appointed rooms were in the treetop, though she supposed it did make sense. One wouldn't want a wounded animal crashing through the sitting room in the middle of the night.

   When they settled on the forest floor, the crowd had thinned. Only those unable to move were left around the base of the tree. Her eyes immediately settled on another fire lizard. She hurried to it and scooped the tiny creature to her bosom. It had similar wounds to Hrrtel's.

   "Oh, you poor thing. Were you there, too?" As though it could understand her (and for all she knew, it could), it nodded. Hrrtel peeked around her shoulder, startling her half to death.

   "Hrrtel, for pity's sake! Warn a body before you pop up like that!"

   The little gold fire lizard cheeped. She wasn't sure, but it sounded apologetic. She acted appropriately and hoped she was right. "That's better. I don't mind you watching; just don't scare me like that again, okay?" He nodded. "So is this your friend?"

   Raiden answered for him. "That is his mate."

   Gwinneth blushed. "Oh."

   "Her name is Myrah."

   She crooned her name softly, hoping she was doing whatever it was she did. The naming seemed to be the key in the past, so she made reassuring sounds and stroked the tiny scales. Sure enough, the wounds closed, healed over. She wasn't sure if it was the use of the fire lizard's name, or running her hands over the little body, but something worked.

   Sooner than she would have thought, the green hide shone with health, and Myrah perked up. "There you go, Myrah. All better."

   Both fire lizards took wing, swooping around their savior. They chirped and twittered something she didn't understand, but when they nudged her feet and arms, she gathered they wanted to play. But how did one play with a fire lizard?

   She looked to the only person who could communicate with her for guidance. Raiden made a little dancing figure with his fingers. Oh, they want to dance! Never one to boast, she was quite an accomplished dancer. She quite literally jumped at the chance to kick up her heels.

   Raiden didn't think she knew the significance of what she did, but neither did he see the harm in it. She was indeed an excellent dancer, even incorporating moves that twined her tiny partners around an arm or neck. She didn't startle when they spouted little jets of fire, either. One would almost think she danced with fire lizards on a regular basis.

   Finally, she collapsed on the flattened turf at their feet. "Whew! I haven't danced like that in ages!" The fire lizards dropped like little stones into her arms, and she cuddled them close. Hrrtel burrowed under her chin, while Myrah was content to lie in the crook of her elbow.

   Raiden was hesitant to break the spell, but there was more work to be done.

   "My Lady, there are others waiting."

   She looked up, dazzled by the swirling depths of Hrrtel's gold orbs. "Hmm? Oh, right. C'mon guys, I've got to get up." The warm little bundles didn't seem keen to move. She looked to Raiden once more.

   "Hey, don't look at me. You're stuck with 'em now."

   "Pardon?"

   He chuckled. "Those two won't leave your side. Not for at least two weeks. Even then, they won't stray far. They've Bonded to you."