The Dragon Arrives

Gwinneth woke the next morning, sore and out of sorts. She would not be cajoled or flattered into a good mood, no matter who tried.

   It did not help when Samantha asked her, in the presence of her brother and Raiden, if she wanted to try again. She was asking partly for herself, since she wasn't sure she even wanted the baby she carried, and if she gave birth to some monstrosity, she didn't think she could try again; even if she found a husband.

   "At least you already have a husband!" Sam rambled on, heedless of her sister's reaction.

   Gwinneth was mortified. She had yet to broach the subject to either of the men at the breakfast table, and refused to meet either set of eyes. If she had, she would have seen shock in the brown eyes across from Samantha, and resignation in the blue-white eyes across from her.

   "You're married?!" This from Kevin, who found his voice first.

   "Handfasted before the Goddess," Raiden corrected.

   That got her attention! Her eyes shot to his, searching them for the truth. :We were?:

   He nodded imperceptibly. :Aye, though I only realized it last night. There were some... differences in our Oathtaking that I had not noticed, at first. For one thing, She never needed witnesses before.:

   Gwinn blanched, turning dangerously pale. Her lavender scales dulled to a milky blue.

   :I was bluffing when I let her think we were married. All I told her was that we'd taken Vows...:

   He sent her soothing feelings, sort of like a hug. Much to his surprise, she shrugged them off. :I told you once before, I never wanted to belong to anyone. She tricked me..!:

   She leapt to her feet, toppling her chair, and ran from the room. When she reached the balcony, she dove over the railing, wings already unfurled. She'd built up her muscles over the past two months, and the feel of the wind over her wings soothed her frayed nerves. She didn't feel the tears that fell from her whirling, multicolored eyes, or that the wind swept them away.

   She did feel the two strong arms that circled her waist. She struggled against him; tried to dip her wings, whip her tail, but they were equally matched. She even tried a barrel roll, but he stayed with her all through the tight maneuver.

   :You're not ready for this.:

   :No, I bloody well am not!:

   He hauled her torso up and backwinged simultaneously, throwing her unwillingly into his arms. :I meant the exertion,: he scolded none too gently. Then, with no warning, he 'ported them to the bathing pools.

   When they landed, she pushed away from him angrily.

   "I never asked for any of this! I was never consulted! I dinna ask to be part demon, or to be married to someone who will probably outlive me! I used to be in control of my emotions, but ever since that... woman made me... this... I seem to fly off the handle at the drop of a hat—and I was pregnant! All o' these emotions pale in comparison to pregnant hormones, and that's saying something!"

   He let her vent. He knew she needed it, badly. In all honesty, he was glad to see her express herself, instead of bottling it all up inside. She was letting out thirty years of repression at the hands of her mother. He was a little sad that what it took to pry her out of her shell was being married to him. I was beginning to think I was a prime bachelor, what with all her sister's talk. I guess being a demigod is not as impressive as it used to be...