Surprise!

When word got around that Samantha was drawing all of the creatures in Sanctuary, she became extremely popular. Everyone wanted to be in the book, and at first, she tried to accommodate their wishes. After a while, though, she had to start saying no.

   "I've already got three gryphons in the book! How can I put you in, too?"

   The poor thing was bandaged and covered in blood, since he had not been healed yet, but he held himself proudly. "You have a leopard/falcon gryphon there, a lion/eagle there, and a lion/owl. I happen to be a tiger/hawk. If you wissh to repressent each sspeciess correctly, you musst include every type, yess?"

   Samantha's mouth sagged open, which was coming to be its normal position. "I... I didn't even know there was more than one kind of gryphon, to be honest. I'm new to all of this... stuff... At least my sister had her books, growing up. I never even knew what a gryphon was until I met Glenrys!

   "Speaking of which, I really ought to draw that wanted poster for him..."

   "But you will draw me, yess?" He tried not to appear over-eager, but she'd learned enough about gryphons to know that he really wanted to be in the book.

   She couldn't help but smile. "Yes, yes, I bow to your superior knowledge. Perhaps if you are still here later, you can even regale me with the pertinent facts for the written portion of the book." It was a blatant bribe, as she had learned that gryphons loved to talk.

   "Yess! I would be mosst pleased to asssisst you!"

   Over the past few weeks, she had learned more than she ever thought possible. Nix, the pixie she'd spoken to that first night, hadn't been sure she could do what was being asked of her.

   "How can we fill your book, when it is closed?" He had scoffed.

   She'd given the man her best Court curtsy and followed along in his metaphor. "My book is closed because I no longer require its teachings. Please, good sir, fill my new book with all the things I was told weren't real."

   Now her book was filled with all sorts of things, both metaphorically and literally. She kept studious notes of everything she learned, forgetting for a while that it was for her sister. It had become her project; her life's work.

   As she had hoped, Nix was her helpful assistant. He took her notes and filed them alphabetically, according to species. The Tree had been nice enough to grow her a bookshelf, and Varla provided what books existed. She was just as glad the bookshelf simply appeared one day, because she wasn't sure she wanted to watch a sentient Tree grow her furniture.

   Gwinneth walked up to them then, and Samantha marveled again at the change in her. She walked erect, despite being six months pregnant. The tail probably helped balance the prow she carried in front. Sam wasn't showing yet, but when she did, she hoped her belly didn't stick as far out as that!

   "What have we here? Oh no, not the wing! I always hate when your wings are messed with."

   "Sso do we," the gryphon said wryly.

   Gwinn chuckled. "I suppose I earned that one. What's your name?"

   "Ssesshin," he replied.

   "All right Seshin, I'm going to have to unbandage your wing to Heal it. Raiden, would you hold it steady when I've got it unwrapped?"

   The demigod stood near the wing and nodded. "Aye, milady."

   Samantha didn't like watching her sister work. It made her nauseous. She excused herself and wandered off to find something—someone—she hadn't drawn yet.