Reunion

Sam didn't celebrate, or gloat. After all, she'd just signed up to raise three girls, for an additional thirteen and a half years. It would only be six months for the residents of Sanctuary.
   Only six months, sure. Six months of missing birthdays, holidays, milestones... But she'd already missed their first steps, first words, and first teeth.
   The babes she carried now reminded their mother that they were still there. They would, as her sister pointed out, need her very soon.
   She couldn't bear to watch them leave. Sam didn't blame her. Nor did she blame her sister when things got difficult, as they were bound to do. If she bothered to place blame, it was always with Ra'hukumen. It was Her unfathomable scheme that put her in this position.
   They argued about whether or not to tell the girls their destiny, of course. They didn't hide their lineage from the twins, though they decided to tell a half truth with their own daughter. She was related to a dragon; two, if they counted Gwinn and Ares, three if they counted Raiden. None of them were blood relatives, but she didn't need to know that.
   Sam sent one of the house fairies to tell her sister what they'd told Jessica. The fey were only too happy to bring messages between the sisters. They were both descendants of their King, so it was an honor they fought over. That may have been what prompted Gwinn to write letters, though she dreaded it so.
   Gwinn mostly focused on the latest cases, except when the second set of twins was born. Sam told her when the twins passed a milestone, so Gwinn did the same with the twins she was allowed to raise.

Sam,

How did you do that thing? You know, the thing that gets them to giggle. Are they supposed to laugh this early? The only way I can get them to settle down if it's not food, gas, or nappie, is the god thing I don't like to use. The calming thing? But then they just lie there and look at me like I'm supposed to do something, except I don't know what. I talk to them, but it feels silly.

Gwinn

   Samantha smiled and shook her head when she read that. If it wasn't something she could Heal, she was lost, it seemed. She'd done okay by Kevin, because she was still young enough to remember play.

Gwinn,

You've got fast growing babes. They're probably developed enough to be bored. I'm too tired to do the math. Talking is good, don't worry. Maybe try singing, or dangling bright colored toys for them. If they're that age, watch for anything that dangles, because they'll grab--

   Gwinn removed her son's fist from her braid. That would've been nice to know about thirty seconds ago. She picked up one of the toys Varla had brought for the girls, and dangled it over his head.
   Sure enough, his eyes got wide, and he grabbed for it. He gurgled happily, and her heart swelled. She sent silent thanks to her sister, but just as quickly asked a pixie if she'd take a letter.
   "I don't like to ask, but--"
   "You've got your hands full, milady. I get it. What would ye have me say?"
   Gwinn thought for a while, watching her son. "Honestly, all I can think of is 'thank you'. I'm sorry, I know I didn't have to ask for something so--"
   "Nay, 'it's quite aright, milady. 'Tis an honor to convey the words of Finn's kin."
   Samantha was correct in her assumption about the reason the letters were more frequent after that.
   She laughed when the pixie handed her the letter. It wasn't in Gwinn's elegant scrawl, with its irregular lines and uneven indentation. The pixie had obviously written it for her. The language was far too flowery, the script too fancy. It took an entire paragraph to say two words.
   Her next letter was full of cute anecdotes, beginning with that absurd letter. After that, she could tell when the fae wrote for her. She was going to take offense, until she got another letter in her sister's hand.

Sam