Chapter 3: Nightmare, Family, and Suicide

Mary POV

It's been a week since my rape and the failed assassination of Francis.

 I got out of the infirmary a few days after. 

But Nostradamus said I'll have the 'bitch' scar for the rest of my life. I hate myself every time I see it. I'm still having nightmares, about it. Francis is sleeping on the divan, every night. 

It's just when I feel a man's breath on my skin, I instantly have a flashback. Except when Francis kisses me on the cheek or forehead. He's been so tough, during this tragedy.

It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep, because I know if I go to sleep, I'll have another flashback. I get out of bed quietly and grab my robe.

 I head down to the kitchen, to get something sweet to eat. 

Francis POV

I hear creaking and then the door close. I get up and notice Mary's not in bed. I go out into the hallway and I see her turn a corner, I follow her to the kitchen. She must be hungry. I go up to her, "Mary, what's wrong? Why aren't you asleep?" I ask. She turns and says, "I just don't want to. I know I'll have another nightmare about it." she tells me. I go up to her and kiss her forehead.

"Come on, let's go to bed." I tell her. "Francis, I want a baby. Can we try tonight please?" she asks me. "Let's talk about this tomorrow, okay?" I ask her, she nods and we go back to our temporary chamber. In the morning, I wake up before Mary. She needs as much sleep as she can get. I get dressed and go talk to my mother.

When I arrive at her chambers, she gives me a hug. "Mother, can I talk to you about Mary?" I ask, she nods and we sit across from each other. "Mary, want's to try to get pregnant. I just don't know if she's ready." I say. "Francis, have you consider the possibility that Mary welcomes this idea? It has been months. You should take that into account. A word of advice. This is her choice. Follow her lead. But for the stability of the realm, a King's visit to a Queen's chambers , must be witnessed. If Mary should find herself with child, there must be no talk from anyone about who's child this is." she says. "Of course." I say and I head back towards our chambers.

 When I enter, I see Mary in her robe and nightgown, in bed sitting straight up and staring into space. She was twisting her ring on her hand and I could still see the bruise on her neck, from when he squeezed her neck. "Please stop! Don't hurt me!" she screams, which tells me she's reliving the rape. I go up to the bed and put my arm on her shoulder. She gets scared and jumps, and tries to hit me. I grab her wrists."Mary, it's okay. It's me, Francis." I tell her and suddenly she snaps out of it.

"I'm so sorry, Francis." she says, crying. I take her head and put it in my chest. "Mary, it isn't your fault. Their were armed men against you, Mary. You couldn't do anything to protect yourself. I should have been there, for you, but I wasn't. And for that, I'm so sorry, Mary." I tell her, while stroking her hair. After another few minutes of crying, she fell asleep with her face in my chest. 

I slipped one of my arms under her legs and the other supporting her back, then I start to carry her back to our temporary chambers. When we enter, I lay her on the divan and then walk up to the bed and pull back the covers. Then, I go back to the divan and pick her back up and gently lay her on the bed. 

I cover her up and I see her stir in her sleep. "Stop! Please! It hurts so much!" she screams. Just then, our guards come in and Mary just sat bolt right up and woke up. "Ahh! No! No! Stay away from me!" she screamed, as the guards came up to check on her. 

When they got to her, she started kick and screaming and also trying to hit them. 

My mother and Bash suddenly came into the room. I was just standing there, looking at Mary in sadness. Bash comes up to me and gently shakes me. I turn to him. "Francis. What happened?" he asked me. "Guards, I need you to leave." Catherine says, going up to Mary. 

Catherine POV

"Mary, what happened?" I asked her. 

"I'm so so sorry." she says, crying and getting up and starting to run, but Francis catches her. 

"Mary, my Mary. You're safe. I will never leave you." Francis tells her. 

"No! No! I hurt you! I didn't want it, but it happened! I'm a horrible wife! I don't deserve to live!" she says. She gets away from Francis and runs off. 

Mary POV

I shouldn't be able to live.

 I finally get out of Francis's hold and run off.

 I go to the kitchen and grab a knife. I start to cut my left wrist, deep. 

The pain felt good.

 After I cut my right wrist. 

Francis POV

"We need to find her! I have a feeling she'll harm herself." I say. 

"Guards, go search the north side of the castle." my mother said. "I'm going to search the kitchen. Bash can you come with me?" I ask, he nods. We start towards the kitchen, when we hear crying. We walk in and I see Mary, with her wrists cut and blood all over herself. 

Mary POV

I see Francis, right before everything went black.