Chapter 8: The Birthday Ball

Mary POV

After my ladies get me dressed, Greer goes to get Francis to help me into my wheelchair. 

When Greer comes back with Francis, he comes up to the bed and slips one of his arms under my legs and the other supporting my back. "You look beautiful!" he says, smiling ear to ear. "Thank you, Francis. You also look handsome. Could you get me a pillow for my back and Lola, could you carry a blanket for me, just in case I get cold?" I ask them. Lola nods and gets my light pink blanket and carries it, while Francis slips a pillow behind my back. 

Francis leans down and kisses me lightly on my lip and then, moves to the back of my wheelchair and begins pushing me until we get to the stairs. "Greer, could you go get Leith to come and help me get the wheelchair down?" he asks Greer. "Yes," Greer says, then leaves. After five minutes, she comes back with Leith. Francis picks me up in his arms again and walks down the stair with Leith behind us with my wheelchair, then behind him are my ladies. When he gets at the bottom of the stairs, he sets my wheelchair down carefully then turns to face me and Francis. "Thank you, Leith," I say and so does Francis. "It was my pleasure, my King, and Queen," he says. I put my hand out and he leans down and takes it,l then kisses it lightly. Then, he leaves.

"Close your eyes, Mary," Francis tells me and I do. After a minute, Francis says, "open your eyes." I open my eyes and see everyone in the ballroom and it was my birthday ball. I totally forgot my birthday. "Oh, Francis! It's beautiful." I say, with tears of joy. He crouches down, after seeing me cry. "What's wrong, Mary?" he asks me, while he wipes my tears. "Nothing, Francis. It's just I'm so happy." I tell him and he smiles. "Come on, let's go meet the guests," he says and I nod. He takes the handle and we head towards Conde who's talking with Bash, Catherine, and Claude. "Happy Birthday, Mary! My sweet daughter." Catherine says, as she leans down and gives me a hug. I hug her back. 

I suddenly start to feel sick, so I grab my stomach. "Mary? Are you alright?" Francis, Bash, Conde, Catherine, and Claude ask me. I quickly shake my head no. "Quick mother, grab a chamber pot," Francis says, turning to face her then turns back around and faces me.  

Francis POV

My mother quickly comes back with a chamber pot and I hold it up to Mary's mouth.

 After a second, she vomits into it.

 After twenty minutes of Mary vomiting, she stops.

 My mother has a napkin in her hand and hands it to me. I wipe Mary's mouth and then give her some wine. "Francis, can I go lay down? I don't feel too good," she asks me. 

"Of course, Mary," I say and I take her out of the room.  

Bash, my mother and Mary's ladies follow us. "Bash, could you carry Mary's wheelchair up the stairs?" I ask and he nods. I carry Mary up the stairs in my arms and Bash comes behind us with her wheelchair. I gently sit her back down and we all head towards our chamber. When we enter, I grab Mary's nightgown and take her into the bathroom. I help get her into her nightgown, then  I carry her nack out and lay her in bed. 

I have a servant go and get Nostradamus and Mary and her ladies are talking, while me, Bash and my mother talk about Mary. Claude left earlier. "How's Mary dealing with being paralyzed?" Bash asks. "I don't know. She won't talk to me about it." I say. "Francis! We need a chamber pot." I hear Kenna scream. I quickly grab one and rush to Mary, with Bash and my mother behind me. I put it up to her mouth and she vomits. After five minutes of vomiting, Nostradamus comes in. 

"You called for me? "he says. "Yes, Mary isn't feeling well and I wanted you to make sure that nothing's wrong with her." I say and he nods, walking up to me and Mary.