Three

»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««

June 19th, 1556

I am scared. There have been reports from the village that consumption is going around. It is rather nerve wracking to think that I could get the disease, or maybe someone within the family. I can only hope that Aunt Clemence will be smart enough to keep Miles away from it all. I can not imagine what it would be like if he were to catch it. I'm would not be able to handle it, most likely. That boy is my everything, and if he ever dies, I don't know what I'd do.

Aside from my fear of diseases, Miles has been asking a lot of questions about what's been going on around here. He is always asking about the newcomers that come around and he is been fascinated with the Harlequin. He, like the rest of my family, are thoroughly entertained by my family's stories. Apparently they've gotten wilder and more whimsical, but I wouldn't know since I do not eat dinner with my family.

I am glad that my family does not force me to eat dinner with them. I get away with a lot of stuff that I shouldn't. They still want me to get married despite my protests, and I have decided that I will go along with it to help repay their kindness. Even if it means that I will be reduced to someone that produces babies, I'll do it.

It is my duty, and maybe if I end up finding a husband, I will be able to find happiness. I certainly will not find it in my one time relationships with men, not that I have actually slept with a lot. It is only been two, and there is a part of me that regrets having laid with the Harlequin. He has turned out to be a much harsher man than I imagined, and his behaviors are very crass.

Part of me likes it however, and I am not sure what that says about me as a person. I can only hope that the Harlequin does not try to continue his advances like he has been. I am afraid that we will be caught, and we can not allow that to happen. I can only hope that we can move past that moment of weakness.

-A.S

"Accalia, my love," Julian says softly as he walks into her room. She looks up from her journal and takes a deep breath, knowing full well what the look on her father's face means.

"Yes?" she asks, trying to hide the reluctance from her voice. "What's his name this time?" Her father smiles appreciatively and takes a deep breath.

"Atticus Ainsley," he says. Accalia is unable to hide her distaste this time and she frowns as she stands. "He is a nice man this time. You know I would not allow you to be with someone who is abusive."

"There is only so much you are able to protect me from," Accalia says quietly. "I understand that you want to make up for what happened, but you will never be able to. We just need to move past it. What's done is done." Julian smiles sadly at his daughter and nods slowly before leaving the room. Judith comes in a few moments later to help get Accalia ready to meet yet another potential suitor.