Five

»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««

"So, how have you really been?" Atticus asks, noticing Accalia's slightly disheveled appearance. Her hair is less brushed than it normally is, her skin is a little paler and there are dark circles under her eyes, indicating that she hasn't been getting a lot of sleep. "Forgive me, my lady, but you do not look your best."

"Perhaps this is my true self," Accalia says somewhat bitterly. "I will be fine eventually, I am merely...sad," she admits. Atticus hesitates slightly before continuing to eat the chicken pie that's in front of him.

"Is there any thing I can do to help you?" he asks with a frown. "I've been told that I can be a very good listener," he adds, silently hoping that she'll confide in him.

"I do not wish to talk about it," Accalia sighs. It's been two days since she was told that Miles doesn't have much longer to live, and he's been getting progressively worse. His body is rejecting food and he's gotten even thinner, if that was possible. It's killing her to see him this way.

"Alright," Atticus says, trying not to show his disappointment. The two continue to talk, but there's an air of uneasiness between the two. The mood from when they first met has definitely changed, and while Attitcus has no idea what happened, Accalia knows. She feels bad that she's unable to treat him like before or even be happy with him, but she can't help it. Miles has been taking up all of her free time, and when she's shooed away by the doctors, she's just stayed in her room—that is, until Harry comes around and makes her go swimming with him.

"Atticus, I'm sorry," Accalia says after he walks her to her room. "I've been very rude to you, while you've been nothing but kind."

"It's quite alright, love," he says softly. "You're going through something hard, and I wish I could be the person you could confide in, but I don't blame you."

"Maybe we can try again some time," Accalia sighs. "When I don't have as much on my mind." Atticus agrees and tucks a lock of her hair behind her ear before leaning down and pressing his lips to her forehead. She closes her eyes for a moment, trying to enjoy the feeling of his lips on her skin, but she can't.

"I'll see you around, Lady Starling," he says before walking away. Once he's turned the corner of the hallway, Accalia lets out a sigh and goes into her bedroom. Inside, she sees that Judith is straightening her belongings, but she's not alone. Her eyes narrow slightly when she sees the female figure standing beside her maid.

"Good afternoon, Jude," Accalia says, when it becomes clear that neither of the figures have noticed her entrance. Almost immediately, the two of them stop what they're doing and turn to look at her.

"Accalia," Judith says, bowing her head. "Forgive me for not noticing you earlier."

"It's alright," she replies, her eyes still fixed on the girl beside Judith. "Who is this?"