Twelve

»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««

Accalia had never imagined herself falling in love with someone. She had always assumed that she would be able to tolerate whoever she married because that's what she'd have to do. She would spread her legs whenever her husband wanted and would pretend to enjoy the sex as he handled her in any way he pleased. She would give birth to at least two children, and she would have to pray every night that she'd give birth to a son first. Girls were never a desired child to have, it's always boys. They are the ones that fight for the family, work for the family, will inherit the money and will be able to do much more.

Nothing Accalia would do would be of her own free will. She'd always have to ask her husband to go out. The cleaning and cooking would be her responsibility. She would have to be okay with her husband likely having mistresses. She would have no freedom and it would be a fate worse than death in her mind. All she ever wanted in life was to be free to make her own choices. She wished women would be able to choose who they marry, not their children. Perhaps Princess Elizabeth, when she inevitably ascends the throne, will try and make things easier. Things had been very tumultuous in Henry VIII's final years, though she can barely remember anything.

Accalia never expected that she'd be remotely happy after everything she's been through with her family. The only thing that was keeping her going was Miles, and when he died, she had no idea what to do. A dark cloud had settled upon her and it felt like the walls were closing in on her. She had even attempted to kill herself the day after Miles died, something that had also been spurred on by the fact that Harry had left her in her most vulnerable state. She had truly believed that there was no other outcome, that nothing would make her happy again. It was lucky that her attempt had failed.

Harry had been an unexpected light in her life, even when he broke her heart. He was irresistible since the first time they had sex and she had known that he'd be special. Part of her had been worried about her feelings just being lust because of how young she is. She always knew that girls her age were impressionable, and in a lot of cases, they'd want to be with a man that would treat them with respect. He had shown her all of that as their relationship progressed. He certainly had his moments where Accalia was angry at him, but that's a part of loving someone.

Accalia had wondered if she would have been happier with Atticus in the end, considering that he had been trying his hardest to make sure she was happy. He never once made her upset and he typically said the right thing. He remembered things that she said, and he actively wanted to make sure she was comfortable around him. Not many men would ever be willing to do that. There wasn't anything wrong with him; he had been very nice and polite to him, but maybe that was part of the problem. He had been too perfect, he didn't seem to bring any sort of conflict, and Harry had done just that. He had challenged her, he was a flawed human being, and he was just more interesting than Atticus had ever been.

Not to mention that Accalia had opened up to Harry in a way she couldn't do to anyone else. She had actually trusted him enough to tell the story of her brother. His behaviour after had made her worried that this was a mistake, but it wasn't. When the time came, Harry had returned the gesture and he told her about his family. She had listened to every word he said and comforted him in any way she could. Accalia had pretended not know who the man that had turned his family in was called, but it was a lie. Something had clicked in her brain and she realised that Harry's mother had been laying with her father.

To be sure, Accalia had snuck into the library where she knew her father kept records of witch burnings. He had to keep track of who was burned and who had accused them. She had seen that the name 'Alder Marlowe' and she knew. 'Alder' had been her father's middle name and 'Marlowe' had been her mother's surname. It was too much of a coincidence and she had felt sad that Harry hadn't just told her the truth. She knew that he was planning on killing her parent, and she wouldn't have attempted to change his mind. Perhaps he was hiding the truth because he had also planned on killing her, but she knew that he wouldn't now. He's changed since the first time they met.

Accalia is forever grateful that she met Harry, even if he had originally planned to kill her, so as she finds him in the crowd of villagers, her heart fills with love. She's glad that she gets to gaze upon his face in her final moments of life. Even if it's full of anguish it's still one of the most beautiful things she's ever had the pleasure of seeing. She smiles at him and knows that even from this distance, he can see the small gesture. Harry lets out a quiet sob and he finds himself beginning to move towards Accalia. He wants to hold her in his arms—he'd burn with her if he had to. He doesn't make it very far before a pair of hands pull him back and prevent him from moving again.

"Don't draw any attention to yourself, Harry," Atticus says quietly. "Please don't get yourself killed as well. Accalia wouldn't want that."

"How did this even happen?" Harry asks, distraught. "Everything was okay. Things were so peaceful. There were no signs that this would happen. It's not like how it was with my parents. How could things have gone so wrong so quickly?"

"I have no idea," Atticus says, letting go of Harry once he's sure that he won't move away. "But I promise you, I will help find out who turned her in."

"I am going slit Julian and Constance Starling's throats, then I will find who accused her and torture them. I will watch the life slowly drain from their eyes and I won't feel an ounce of guilt," Harry says darkly as he sees a man in a black hood walk up to where Accalia is. He adds the executioner to his list as well. He'll make sure that he burns. 

"She didn't deserve this," Atticus sighs. The two men tune out the words that the man in the black hood begins to say. They're both thinking about how much they wish they could step in, but they know they can't. If they do anything, they will be killed as well and no one would be able to get justice for Accalia. The crowd around them is cheering and jeering loudly and they hurl insults to the woman who has been sentenced to die.

"No one does," Harry replies quietly. He hates that the society he lives in will burn women without any sort of trial. People can falsely accuse people of things they're not and because of the fear that witches and magic bring to the world, people will believe without question. Harry wonders if this will ever change, if there will be a time in the world where innocent women aren't burned for no reason.

As the man in the black hood lights the stack of wood on fire, Harry feels his world beginning to crumble. The edges of his vision begin to grow black as he focuses on the woman he loves so dearly. He's grateful that his last interaction with her was filled with love and there was no animosity. At least it's not like his parents.

Accalia's eyes begin to fill with tears as the end of her life gets closer. She can already feel the heat from the fire and she makes sure to keep her gaze on Harry, who is visibly growing more upset. She smiles again, wanting him to see her do that one last time. Her heart is racing and she mouths I love you to him. He immediately does the same thing and he forces himself to keep looking, even as the flames engulf her.

Accalia doesn't scream as the heat begins to melt her flesh, she doesn't make a move to escape. She only keeps her gaze on Harry, the man who she loves so dearly. The man who made her happy in her last couple of months alive. She closes her eyes and imagines how death will feel, and what it'll be like to see Miles and Judith again. Then she imagines Harry joining her much later, and that is her last thought as death finally catches up with her.

»»————-  ————-««

a/n: this is the final chapter and it was short, but it was done on purpose. The epilogue will basically be a continuation and you will find out what Harry does after all of this.

Thank you so much for reading this, your support has meant a lot to me, especially since the past couple of weeks have been frustrating.