Nine

»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««

"Seeing Judith burn brought back memories that I hoped I'd never have to experience again," Harry begins slowly. "It...it reminded me of when I watched my mother being burned at the stake for supposedly being a witch." Accalia feels her chest constrict at his words. Her anguish grows as she thinks about how Harry must have felt as he relived seeing his mother burn.

"Harry..." she pauses her actions of stroking his hair, but when he lets out a quiet groan, she goes back to what she was doing. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I really want to, but it hurts every time I think about my family," Harry sighs. He lifts his head to look at Accalia and his heart lurches as he sees how worried she is about him. The fact that he had been so sure that he wanted to hurt her again makes him feel even worse about all of this. He had been hurt that she had left him, and that she truly didn't love him; he had been so sure that going back to his original plan was the right thing, but he wrong. She still cares about him and probably always did.

"Well, we can talk about something else if you'd like," Accalia says, reaching out to touch his cheeks with her fingertips. She revels in how beautiful he is, even when he's experiencing immense emotional pain. It makes him look even younger than he actually is.

"No, I think it's better that I get this over with," Harry murmurs as he pulls away from Accalia. He leans his back against the headboard of the bed and she does the same. She grabs his hand and presses her lips to the back of it, hoping that this action helps make him feel better about the situation. "I don't deserve you," he says very quietly. Accalia hears him but decides not to say anything, assuming that she was not meant to hear his words.

"Maybe we can start with your family," she proposes when she senses that he doesn't know where to start. "What were your Mum and Dad like?"

"They were...flawed beings, but now that I think about it, they were the best parents I could have ever hoped for. My father could be a cold man sometimes, but he made sure that I knew that he loved me. My mother, well, she was a bit of a wanderer in terms of men, but I knew she loved my father and I." Accalia can't help but frown in confusion at this.

"If I'm interpreting your words correctly, how could your mother cheat on your father and still love him?" she asks. Harry remains silent for a few moments and she's suddenly fearful that she's crossed a line. "I-I'm sorry, that came out wrong."

"No, no, I understand," Harry says hastily. "It was only after she was burned that I knew that she loved us. She still came home every night, even when she knew how angry the two of us were with her. She had tried to leave the man she was with for my father...I knew what she was doing, and there was a very long time where I was mad at her. I hated her, even, for nearly tearing the family apart. I barely felt any sympathy for her when I saw the bruises left by the man she fucking. I always thought that she deserved it, and I even told her that, and I'm going to regret that for the rest of my life," he continues as his voice begins to shake with guilt.