Getting Ready

I looked at myself in the mirror and willed myself to smile. The so called 'smile' on my face was not going to cut it. I was going to a party with my boyfriend tonight, and I had to look happy. If I didn't, Alex (my boyfriend) was going to think something was wrong.

Which of course something was wrong, but I didn't want to spoil his night. He loved social gatherings, so I'd try to enjoy it too. I stepped away from the mirror and went to rummage through my closet. Maybe if I was lucky, I would find something decent to wear.

I decided on my go-to outfit of blue jeans and a t-shirt. I threw a sweatshirt on and sat on my bed to pull on my converse. After finishing, I laid down and thought of all the things that could go wrong.

I could trip and fall in front of everyone and embarrass myself. I could lose track of Alex and get lost. Or I could have anxiety. I'd take the first two over the latter any day. Anxiety was awful. So many people didn't understand.

Luckily one of the few people that did understand, was my boyfriend. Alex dealt with me like a champ. He knew exactly what to do all the time. I loved him so much. Speaking of Alex, he should be here any minute.

As if he heard me, a knock sounded at the door. I opened it and there stood my wonderful boyfriend. His soft brown hair and green eyes were such a comforting and welcome sight. "Hey blockhead." He greeted me winking. I rolled my eyes.

Years ago when we were just friends, he came up with that endearing nickname for me. Just by the name, you can tell I wasn't the smartest. But I let him call me it because it made me smile like the idiot I was.

"Hi." I smiled. "Ready?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. I sighed, but nodded. Whether I was ready or not, he was and I didn't want to keep him waiting. "Let's go then." He grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door.

Here we go...