You Know You're Right

"Are you sure?" Cristina asked Maggie Pierce.

"It's the least I could do. We could still use your help around here."

"Well, alright then. I'll go meet with the patient," she asked while going on her way.

"No 'thank you'?" Maggie half-joked.

Cristina turned around dramatically and appeared to hesitate for a moment. "Nope. I gave you this job, remember."

Maggie smiled and wondered what it would've been like to work under her solely as an attending.

A buttload of surgeries but at what cost?, she thought.

Cristina wandered through the hospital. It began to feel familiar again and that sentiment worried her. This was not her home. Zurich was her home and the hospital was waiting for her.

What are you even doing here still?

But she knew exactly what she was doing. No matter how much Cristina wanted to leave, a certain someone was pulling her back into an old cycle.

_________________________

Yelling was heard from outside the attending's lounge. Richard Webber and Alex Karev were standing by the door, wincing at the words exchanged.

"Should we go in there?" Webber suggested.

"Definitely not. It's not our business."

"Well, they're making it our business by allowing everyone on this floor to hear it."

Alex shrugged.

Inside of the room, Owen was sitting down at the table while Amelia stood across from him. Anger and frustration was pouring from both their faces. Divorce papers were laid out on the table.

"You were all upset by it and now you're trying to rush the process? Is it because your ex-girlfriend is here?!"

"Ex-wife. She's my ex-wife! And if you're so threatened by her then I guess that's just another problem in our relationship, let's add that to the list!"

"I'm tired of you making me out to be the bad guy. If anything, you're just as screwed up as I am. We're both screwed up!"

"No, no, no. This isn't about me. This is about you avoiding me for weeks and then serving me divorce papers!"

"Because it's time," Amelia's voice softened. Owen looked up from the floor. "It's time, Owen." She sounded defeated.

She pulled out a chair and sunk down into it. They both took in a deep breath at the same time.

Owen grabbed the pen and began to sign where it was needed. Amelia intently watched him, anticipating when it would be her turn to sign.

After they both finished, Owen rested his hand over Amelia's. She sighed and appreciated the gesture.

"It's for the best," he quietly said. She nodded in agreement.

As he left the room, a bittersweet feeling of relief flooded over Owen. He felt guilty for it. But his relationship with Amelia had reached a stalemate - they were both exhausted from the fighting and the exciting spark wasn't there anymore. He said it was for the best and he stood by that statement, but that didn't erase the pain he felt.