Chapter 7

After completely clearing out Dad's apartment and hauling the things we wanted to keep out of storage into Hiroe's car, we decided to head back to Aizawa's — back home.

It was quiet all the way back, and Hiroe didn't say a word as she gently lifted the small box full of the picture frames Dad had on the walls off of my lap to allow me to step out of the car. I was quick to loop around the vehicle and pop open the trunk to snatch up one the boxes I had packed, heaving it inside after Hiroe.

We trailed into the living room, where Aizawa sat on his armchair staring aimlessly up at the news channel. I plopped the box down on the coffee table and Hiroe followed suit before turning right back outside again to grab another box. Aizawa looked up to me through his bandages and I nodded to him.

When he said nothing, I turned on my heel to the car. I scooped the last box out of the back seat — the one containing the bouquet and letters, followed by some of my personal belongings — and kicked the door closed with my foot. I shuffled inside and closed the front door in a similar manner I had done with the car.

I went straight up to my room. I shut the door quietly and plopped the box down on the seat of my wheelchair before taking out its contents. I set the flowers and letters on the dresser and gently took out an old picture frame that I had in my old room. Setting the old photo down on the nightstand, I finally allowed myself to plop down on the bed.

I had neglected to switch on the light, so it was dark. My limbs felt heavy from lifting boxes and my legs were like led from standing up on them for too long. I still needed to get used to the tingle and the ache I got when I walked around. It would pass soon, or at least that's what I figured.

As my eyelids grew heavy, I threw out any idea of changing and curled up into a ball, taking the locket I had around my neck out from the inside of my shirt to hold in my hand. I clutched it tightly, it being one of the things I had found in Dad's nightstand drawer. It was sealed shut, however, so in turn I had no idea what was hid inside the silver clasp. It didn't bother me, though, just as long as I had something of his to wear everyday.

Sleep didn't come easy that night, but when it had, my thoughts were filled with his smiling face.

__________

I woke up early the next morning. As predicted, my legs were sore and nearly impossible to move, but that didn't stop me from sitting up and kicking them over the side of the bed.

As I did, a soft blanket fell away from my shoulders, and I figured that Hiroe came in to check on me late last night. Seeing the other two boxes that were mine resting in a stack beside the closet proved my assumption correct.

I got up with a heavy breath and looped the locket around my neck. I opened up the closet and pulled out my U.A. PE uniform pants and a black sports bra before sulking into the bathroom across the hall.

I turned on the shower faucet, making sure the setting was on cold, before undressing and stepping in. After washing away the tired feeling still fluttering around in my system, I got dressed, looped my hair into a ponytail, and skidded down the stairs.

I traveled into the kitchen, and unsurprisingly saw Hiroe busy at work in front the stove. Upon my entry, she turned over her shoulder and smiled brightly at me.

"Good to see you up and ready," she turned back to whatever she was cooking. It smelled spicy. "I was just about to wake you."

I hummed in acknowledgement. "What's the plan?"

"Well," she began, opening the fridge. "I was thinking we could go to the studio first; you can have a whole dance room to yourself to workout your legs. But after that I'm not sure what you're supposed to do, I'm quirkless, so this whole training deal isn't really my thing."