Chapter 13

Once everyone had finished the qualifying race and once again filed into the arena, the rest of the first years and I were gathered before Midnight's stage and screen.

"The second round of the U.A. Sports Festival first-year stage is.." she was saying as the image on the screen began to spin. "A cavalry battle with the top forty-two from the qualifier!"

Dropping her hands that were once held above her head to her sides, she turned toward us with her tone dropping a decibel. "Those at the top will suffer more. You'll hear this many times as you attend U.A., that is what 'Plus Ultra' means!" She thrust her whip at us. "Midoriya Izuku, who placed first in the qualifier, is worth ten million points!"

Everyone's eyes, including mine and Karafuru's, darted over to the green haired boy at the mention of his hefty amount of points. Just by looking at the expression on everyone's face was enough of an indication that no one was going to want to partner up with such a large target.

"Poor Midoriya.." I heard Karafuru say. "That's a lot of pressure."

"It's a large burden," I agreed, turning away. "But it's not our problem."

"Now then," Midnight continued. "I will explain the rules of the cavalry battle. The time is fifteen minutes, each team is worth the total of its members' points, and the riders will wear a headband with that number on their foreheads. Teams will try to grab other's headbands until time runs out, and try to keep as many as they can. Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up, so the more you steal, the harder it'll be to manage them!"

She spoke all while an example of All Might wearing headbands from his neck up to his forehead played on the screen behind Midnight.

"And the most important thing is that even if your headband gets stolen, or if you're team falls, you're not out!"

"Which means..." Yaoyorozu mumbled close by.

"... since there are forty-two people, there will be ten to twelve teams on the field the whole time." Sato finished, sounding unsure.

"One strategy could be to let someone steal your headband so you'll be more free." Ashido said aloud.

I hummed absently. "It's hard to say. We don't know how the points will be split up."

"During the game, it'll be a cruel fight where you can use your quirks," Midnight announced from the stage. "But it is still a cavalry battle. You'll get a red card for attacks that are trying to make people fall on purpose! You'll be removed immediately!"

A few murmurs cycled the groups of classes, and the unmistakable 'tsk' of Bakugou was prominent against the sound.

"Now," Midnight declared as a timer appeared on the screen. "You have fifteen minutes to build your teams! Start!"

Karafuru turned to me with a hopeful glint in her eye. "Um.. so, Yuki, do you have anyone in mind?"

From what I recall from ground beta, Karafuru's quirk had something to do with paint and colors — Pigmentation if I remember correctly. I wasn't entirely sure what she could do with the pigment, but taking from her extended sleeves and the pink paint smeared on her cheek, I assumed she was able to manipulate it somehow. That could be useful when reaching for far away headbands... but that was only if she could use her quirk in such a way. We were compatible as friends, but as serious teammates, I couldn't be sure.

I smiled weakly. "No, I don't, but you and I being partners really depends on what you can do with your quirk."

"Oh," she said simply, her hopeful expression faltering slightly. "So you're really serious about this festival, aren't you?"