Chapter 14

The first years were dismissed shortly after the end of the cavalry battle results.

I was quick to make my way out of the arena in an attempt to avoid any and all people — specifically Iida — but that proved to be useless when a boy with grayish-blue hair approached me in the tunnel leading out into U.A.'s bustling courtyard.

"You must be Yuki Osoroshi, right?" He asked, his voice came out softer then expected.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "It depends, who's asking?"

He smiled. "Yamamoto Chiyo. I'm in class 1-B."

Yamamoto held a hand out to me and I reluctantly took it. "I could pick you out of the crowd, your head is swarming, isn't it?"

My eyes flashed up to his face again. "Pardon me?"

Yamamoto laugh gently, and with a wave of his hand, gestured that I followed him out of he tunnel and toward a shady patch where only a pair of people sat on a bench nearby.

"My quirk is called Telepath," he began. I could feel my blank expression harden. "It allows me to feel what other people are feeling and gives me an idea on what they're thinking about, but I can't see exactly what's going on in that head of yours, so don't worry about that."

He smiled sweetly again and I pursed my lips. "And you could sense what, exactly? My discomfort? What were you hoping to do? Become my therapist?"

I scoffed and turned on my heel, but Yamamoto was quick to stop me with a hand on my arm.

"That's not it at all," he justified. He sounded quieter. "I just... I just know some stuff about you because of the USJ incident, y'know? That and I can feel... I can feel the pain you're feeling right this moment."

Biting the inside of my cheek, I turned slightly to look at him.

I watched silently as his translucent eyes skimmed the array of people littering the courtyard before he finally settled on me again. "It's that navy haired boy, isn't it? I saw you two talking earlier.."

"Iida," I said. He tilted his head. "That's his name. It's Iida."

"So it seems," Yamamoto detached from my arm. "I'm really good at consolation.. I can help you — if you want me to, that is."

I sighed. "Listen, I don't need your help. I don't need anyone's help. I can handle everything myself."

"But that's just it, Yuki," he tried to smile. "You can't."

"Excuse me?"

"No one can," Yamamoto was quick to explain. "You lost a lot a mere few weeks ago, don't you remember that? You can't get over losing your father and dealing with Iida all on your lonesome."

"Iida isn't the problem." I hissed through clenched teeth. "You don't actually know anything, Yamamoto. You don't even know me. So keep your nose in your own business and I might just spare you the pain of having your lips frozen shut, you got me?"

The boy frowned, but let me leave without a word anyway. I walked into another random tunnel that was connected to the stadium and turned the corner with nothing but the sound of the soles of my shoes aiding the already noisy racket dwelling inside my head. The sound was almost overwhelming — no — it was overwhelming, so much so that I had to suck in a breath and sit on the cold cement floor to prevent myself from passing out.

I put my hands over my ears as if that would do anything for me, but as the sound of Midoriya's voice echoed off of the enclosed walls around the corner, it was as if the static all but ceased entirely.