Chapter Three

"Is he still out there?"
"Yes, your highness."
"Go and fetch him."
"Right away, your highness."
The servant leaves Odin's side quickly and hurries into the grand gardens.
Everyone knows that the prince has been out by the fountain since dawn, and now the sun is setting whilst he is still outside. The servant shakes his head, rubbing his hands together to keep out the sudden chill, and approaches the prince with caution.
"My prince, the king sends for you." He announces.
"Tell my father that I shall be on my way shortly." Thor says blandly, his eyes fixed on the horizon.
Today has been just like yesterday. And the day before. And all the other five days that have past. Thor has got up, sat by the fountain, and gone back to bed. To anyone watching, it is very obvious where his thoughts lie. All day and all night, images of Loki plague his mind. How purely scared he looked in the guard's arms. How confused he looked before being projected to Midgard. How this hole in Thor's heart aches everyday.
Thor stands up slowly, heaving a sigh, and watches the servant leave toward the gleaming castle. He gazes up at the setting sun when an idea suddenly reveals itself to him. Thor checks his surroundings before walking purposely in the direction of the rainbow road. A shadow flits in the corner of his eyes and Thor jerks his head, thinking it's Loki. However, there's nothing there. He keeps walking.
"Heimdall!" He calls out as he reaches the portals. The Gatekeeper raises an eyebrow at Thor as he approaches.
"Heimdall. I need your assistance." The prince asks.
"What is it you require?" Heimdall states, studying Thor.
"I wish for you to find someone on Midgard for me." Thor stands next to Heimdall, gazing out into the endless stars.
"I cannot do what you ask for." Heimdall shakes his head, realising what was being asked of him.
"Why not?" Thor frowns, glancing at the Gatekeeper.
"It would be treason." Heimdall states, looking back at the prince.
"But-"
"No, Thor. I cannot look for him. You know that. I am sorry but I cannot." Heimdall shakes his head. He hates to disappoint Thor, especially like this.
"My apologies then." Thor mutters. "I shall not return." He is halfway down the rainbow road when Heimdall calls out.
"He is safe, with a pleasant family." Thor turns around; a ghost of a smile on his lips. Heimdall hasn't moved, his back to him, but that is all Thor needs to know. Loki is safe.

"Suede? Are you sure?" Tony, Steve and the teenage boy stand in the doorway. Steve is itching to get to the Avengers meeting, but Tony had insisted on deciding on a name other 'the boy' for this apparent latest addition to their family.
"Yes. I'm sure. I want to be called Suede." Suede nods, trying to sound matter of fact.
"Well then, Suede. We need you to come to this meeting with us." Steve smiles, glancing at the clock, and then at Tony.
"Oh for Gods sake, Ste-"
"What meeting?" Suede interjects, trying not to wince. He has to...socialise? With complete strangers?
"And Avengers meeting." Tony huffs, hating the term. Suede stares at them, puzzled.
"You haven't heard of the Avengers?" Steve looks surprised, before smiling and placing a firm hand on Suede's shoulder.
"C'mon. We'll fill you in on the way." Tony grins, opening the door. "Bye, Peter!" He calls up the stairs.
"You sure he'll be okay?" Steve frowns as they walk down the cobblestone path.
"I have Pepper on call. You know how Peter is with video games." Tony explains for the umpteenth time. Suede follows silently as they all like in Tony's Audi R8 and drive off.
Inevitably, the meeting takes nearly two drawn-out hours, talking about everything and nothing. Suede sits patiently at the back in the corner, his hood covering his face from all the eyes on him. He only glances up when Steve claps.
"Okay, team. That's a wrap. Until next time." Steve nods.
"God, Steve. You're so old-fashioned." Clint rolls his eyes and saunters out, followed by an unimpressed Natasha. The rest of the Avengers filter out of the office room, leaving Suede, Tony and Banner.
"You're doing this behind your husband's back? Do you ever learn, Stark?" Bruce shakes his head, looking at Suede, who is staring at his hands intently.
"Just do what you do, Banner. And quick." Tony sighs and runs a hand through his hair. Bruce produces a small briefcase, which Suede eyes fearfully. Bruce sighs.
"Don't worry, Suede." Banner says not-so-reassuringly. "I'm just trying to help you get your memory back." Opening the case, the doctor produces a syringe. Upon seeing this, Suede bolts straight for the door, only to be grabbed by Tony.
"Calm down, kiddo." Tony soothes the teenager.
"I just need a sample of your blood to analyse. It'll help, I promise."  Bruce quickly takes the sample, earning a grimace from Suede, and sets up a portable microscope. Tony runs Suede's arm but the boy yanks it away in disgust, scowling at Tony.
"Oh wow." Banner breathes in wonder.
"What is it, Bruce?" Tony walks over, standing behind him.
"The structure of his DNA in his cells. I've never seen this before." The two scientists babble away and Suede sneaks out, finding the rest of the team. Natasha is engrossed in deep conversation with Clint.
"Did you see Thor? I thought he was showing today?" Natasha frowns.
"No idea. Probably off somewhere in space." Clint shrugs. Right on cue, the hallway doors burst open and Thor enters, breathless.
"Show's over, mate. You missed the conference." Clint laughs, walking out the hallway.
"I'll let you know about it later." Natasha nods before jogging after Clint. Thor blinks, momentarily confused, before shaking his head. He's about to pass Suede when he stops, looking straight at him with a small smile. Suede stares back, seemingly mesmerised by the god in front of him.
"I do not remember your face around here. Who are you?" Thor asks, frowning. He can't quite see his face under the hood.
"Suede. Suede Stark." Suede murmurs, gazing at every part of Thor. He feels a weird recognition looking at him. Like he should know him.
"Ah. The Starks have adopted again, I see." Thor shakes his head and glances down the hallway.
"It would appear so." Suede mimics Thor's tone; finding it amusing.
"Are you impersonating me?" The god raises his eyebrows and fights the urge to smile. Suede gasps in mock horror and puts a hand on his chest.
"I would never commit such an offence. I am deeply sorry." He shakes his head but rolls his eyes playfully. Thor nearly laughs; something that hasn't happened in nearly a week.
"Good. Now I must be on my way. I need to find the Captain." Thor smiles, nodding at Suede before walking away with a slight spring in his step. Suede stares after him, confused. He'd just come out of his shell to a complete stranger; a weird one at that. However, it felt natural almost. Still pondering the thought, Suede walks off down the hallway with the beginnings of a smile on his face.