Chapter 1. New Job

As I slowly make my way down the silent hall, I feel my nerves creeping in, invading me. Knowing at any given moment, I might be the next employee being given her walking papers. My hand grabs the golden door handle and I slowly push my office door open praying there isn't any unwelcomed messages on my phone. I don't see any red flashes indicating my phone is clear of any messages, much to my relief.

"Thank, goodness," I whisper.

"Eva, as soon as you fax those papers to Ms. Newman, I need you to please come to my office. I have something important to speak to you about," Mrs. Lewis informs me as she enters my office. Dashing every bit of hope I was desperately holding onto.

"Sure, Ms. Lewis," Uh, great, she laid two people off last week, please, don't let me be next to be laid off. I keep praying I'm not the next one to be laid off. This company has been losing more and more clients. A new lingerie company opened about a mile from here, it's away from the busy interstate. The customers prefer to be away from all of this traffic our company is near. My boss in total had to lay off five people. I have this sick feeling I'm next to be laid off.

"Come in, Eva. Please have a seat. As you very well know, our sales have dropped a great deal. Satin N Lace have been the reason we have a drop in sales. I assure you, I really tried to hold off from having to lay you off. It's now going on three months Eva, and our sales keep dropping. We are so far in the red, I just don't see things getting any better. I know you have been a loyal, hardworking and trusty worthy employee, and a great friend. I do not want to do this, but I have no other choice. I really am so sorry. This breaks my heart having to do this, having to take such drastic measures. Here is your last paycheck. I added a big bonus for all those times you had to travel to get our new shipment and recruit more clients. I also typed up a recommendation for you. Good luck," she hands me my last paycheck. The tears and panic start to drown my eyes.

"This cannot be happening. I have a house mortgage, a car payment, credit card payments. Oh god, I have a big hospital bill from my surgery six months ago. Well, I guess I don't have time for a pity party, I have got to find another job, so I need to stop thinking about how my life just went to hell in one single day. Me going to my friend's bar is sounding really good right now. Maybe if I get drunk off my ass, I won't think about how I no longer have a job. I need a drink. A big stiff drink. I am going straight to the Purple Nurple and getting drunk off my unemployed ass." I whisper as I make my way out to my car and speed towards the club.

"Hey Nora," I say to a friend.

"Eva, why aren't you at work? "I flop down on the bar stool and look at her with tears in my eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong, Eva?"

"Remember I told you my boss had to lay off some people at work? Well, guess who got laid about thirty minutes ago?"

"Oh no. I'm so sorry. I can help you type up a resume. I'll come over to your house tonight to help you."

"Thanks Nora, but Ms. Lewis was kind enough to type up a resume for me. I hope who ever looks at it gets impressed with it. I have got to start sending in my resume tomorrow. I just need to figure out who is hiring. Somebody has to be hiring, I hope."

"Eva, I'm not sure if you will consider this, but I know who is hiring. It's a job you're used to working. They need a secretary."

"Really Nora? That's great. I can take my resume to them in the morning. Who is hiring?"

"Satin N Lace, Eva."

"What Nora? Oh no way, I can't. They are the reason I just lost my job, and why Ms. Lewis lost half her customers. I can't possibly go work for them," I insist. 

"Eva, you don't understand, I have a friend that knows someone who works there. The job pays twenty-five dollars an hour, plus all benefits. That includes eye and dental. You were only making eighteen dollars an hour. You would have to be insane not to take your resume in. You really need to consider doing this."

"Damn it, you're right, I would have to be insane not to take my resume in. I have no other choice; I have a ton of bills I have to pay. I'll take my resume in the morning."

"Ok, I wish you all the best, Eva."

"Thank you," I reply before heading straight home.

Morning soon arrives and I'm now on my way to the place who is responsible for me losing a job I loved.  I quickly make my way into the large white stone building and see the secretary.

"Name?" she asks while snapping her chewing gum.

"Eva Henry," I reply.

"Hello, are you Eva?" I look up and see this very good-looking guy. Every part of him is gorgeous. His dark hair with a hint of curls to his sparkling green eyes.

"Hi, yes, I'm Eva."

"Please, follow me to my office," I'm walking behind him, and I can't help but notice the way he walks with such confidence. 

"Have a seat. Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"Yes, thank you, cream and sugar, please," I say.

"Okay, I looked over your resume. I have to say, I'm very impressed. What really impresses me is how loyal you seem to be. Working at a company for sixteen years is a long time. You traveled, you made sure the customers got what they paid for. All I know to say now is, you're hired Eva. I need you here tomorrow morning, at eight sharp."

"Really? You have no idea how much I appreciate this Mr. Santos. I won't disappoint you, "he stands up and walks over to me. I quickly stand. 

"I somehow know Eva; you will not disappoint me. You follow orders, do what you're supposed to do, we will have no problems. See you in the morning," he walks out of his office.

"He actually hired me. I just hope I don't end up regretting this."