chapter 26

My stomach dropped. What had been jades worst fear was a reality. First she might not be able to ride and second her horse is injured so badly that she has to be put down. I felt something wet on my cheeks only to realize that it was my own tears. I wiped them with my sleeve but more fell. Jade is my best friend and I don't want her to go through all of this. My sadness turned to anger.  I was Angry that jade was hurt and rya was being put down, angry that I had to sit on the sidelines, I knew being angry was pointless and stupid but I was to angry to care.
I don't know when I fell asleep but I woke up on the couch in the morning still in my breeches and Polo from the night before. Out my window I saw a familiar red dodge ram pull up. Aunt autumn stepped out and headed towards the barn. I quickly changed and headed down to the barn. When I got there Mr.O'Connor Aunt autumn anf uncle were at rya's stall. Other than them the barn was empty. At the sound of my boots all of there heads turned to see who it was. I didn't say anything as I came and stopped by the stall as well. Inside the stall rya was lying down and the vet was already in the stall with his needle ready. I watched as the needle punctured Rya's skin and then thirty seconds later I watched as her eyes closed one last time and her breathing stilled. Aunt autumn turned to me with eyes red from crying and hugged me. We didn't say anything for a couple minutes we just cried in silence while Mr.O'Connor covered Rya with a blanket. "D-does jade know?" I asked through hiccups and sobs. Aunt autumn nodded her head. Pulling away from the hug I went to ria's stall. I buried my face in her neck and wrapped my arms around her and I cried until I couldn't cry no more.
This is when I realized that I couldn't do this. I realized I loved horses yes, but I don't want to be a professional rider or a trainer. I realized I don't want horses to be my job. So I called my mom and asked to quit shining stars to get a regular education back home and go to university and get a degree in something.