Chapter Three

TWO DAYS LATER

Aubrey

"Ms. Barnett, your son only has the common cold, there's no need to take Michael to the hospital, these allergy pills will help, but you have to let it run its course." Ms. Barnett always brought in Michael, I admired her care for her son, but I felt as if she were too protective, he's 11 years old, I can tell he wants to be treated like a man.

"Thank you Dr. Graham, I don't know what Michael and I would do without you." She smiled small.

"It's no problem at all Ms. Barnett." I took that as my queue to leave the room but as soon as I walked out I ran into Natasha, I towered over her 5'3" frame.

"Aubbie!" She squealed. I immediately frowned at her. She had to be out of her mind. "Oh come on don't be like that, I thought you would at least be nice. We haven't seen each other in 5 months." I walked past her without saying a word, I could feel her eyes on me but I didn't care. She had cheated on me and didn't deserve the slightest ounce of respect from me. I pulled off my white coat and picked up my bag. I didn't want to be here any longer than I had to. I said my goodbyes and hopped on the elevator. As I made my way to the car I thought about Natasha, she had finally dyed her hair black again, I never liked her hair red. She stopped using tons of make-up, she looked good. That didn't change the type of person she was though. I dug around in my pockets for the keys to my Mercedes and unlocked my car.

I drove home in complete silence trying to think about everything except Natasha, the 45 minute drive didn't really help. I stayed in the elevator for a few minutes replying to my messages, one from Mom, one from Ryan, one from an unknown number. I can call it later. I was starving by the time I walked into my apartment and pulled out the chicken I had left to thaw in the fridge. Taking a break from relationships had actually been beneficial in a sense since I had learned to cook a few dishes. I cut up some onion as I thought about my day and remembered to call the unknown number while the chicken was cooking.

"Hello?" A female voice answered.

"Yeah, you had called my phone, can I help you?"

"Uhm yeah Dr. Graham, its Angie, I was wondering if I could.. If we could just talk please?" I heard cars in the background and looked at my watch, 7:10.

"Yeah where are you Angela?"

"Parsons, if it's too far you don't have to come."

"I'll be there in 45 minutes."

"Thank you."

I hung up and changed into a t-shirt and dark was jeans, I didn't want to smell like the food I was cooking. I think I'm going to have to call CPS, I mean I kind of don't want her to tell me because I could at least say I didn't suspect anything, but if she tells me, I don't know, I can't really lie for her. She's sixteen though, if I mess up her family I could fuck up her school life too. I slowed down at the first female I saw on Parsons, Angela was sitting at a bus stop alone. I turned off my car and walked over to her. She looked up at me with puffy eyes. I sat down next to her and waited for her to speak. After five silent minutes she put her arm in my lap so her palm was facing up. I looked at her arm and saw a large bruise, it was new.

"Angela..." I made eye contact and noticed another bruise forming on her cheek. "Come on." I started walking to my car, I waited for her to get in and I knew I was going to regret everything that happened from this moment on.

"Where are we going Dr. Graham?"

"Starbucks, I want to hear the whole story and I'll see what I can do." I sped down the street, I think I went through a red light, I'm not sure. I pulled into the parking spot, sure that I had scared her more because of my semi-reckless driving. When we walked into the Starbucks Angela immediately sat on the couch, I followed behind her.

"Do you want anything Angela?"

"Uhm, just a vente coffee based vanilla frappuccino." I tried to memorize the words she had said because I had absolutely no idea what that meant. I made sure I kept the unfamiliar words in the same order she had said them in. I ordered an iced coffee. I walked back to the couch after the lady had given me our drinks. She sipped on her drink and didn't make eye contact with me until I called her name.

"Yes?"

"I don't mean to rush you but it's getting late .."

"Oh yeah, I'm sorry." She paused, "It's my father, and I'm sorry for lying to you but he just gets so angry and we get into arguments."

"I'm sorry Angela, you don't deserve any of this. Why did he hurt you this time?"

"I'd rather not say, I'm sorry for taking up your time, I just wanted to tell you." She smiled small and got up from the couch.

"Where are you going now?"

"Who knows, just not home."

"You have to stay with someone Angela, I'm also supposed to report this to CPS." I said quietly.

"No! Please, please don't do that, it will ruin everything! I never would have told you." Tears started to fill her eyes.

"I won't. Not yet. Where are you staying?"

"I don't know, it doesn't matter I can sneak into a motel or something."

I thought about the way her life must be, she lives in a middle - upper class neighborhood where there isn't a motel for over 5 miles. I looked around for her but she was gone. I ran out to my car hoping to find Angela. If I'm not going to call I have to at least make sure she's being treated nicely.

"Angela get in!" I called to her.

"Where are you taking me Dr. Graham? I'm not going home."

"My mom's house, she lives 5 minutes away so you'll be able to get to school," I handed her my phone, "Look for 'Mom' and call her for me." A few seconds later I heard ringing and my mom picked up.

"Hi Aubrey"

"Hey Ma, could you do me a big favor please?"

"Sure honey, what do you need?"

"Um I have a .. friend that needs a place to stay, we'll be there in about two minutes"

"Thank you for the heads up Aubrey" I could almost feel her roll her eyes through the phone.

"Ha, no problem" I was content with the answer she had given me. We pulled up to the house and I parked behind the other car in the drive way. I rang her doorbell three times although she always tells me once is enough.

"This is Angela Mom" I said motioning to her. My Mom stared at her and her facial expression quickly changed, I hope she didn't think -

"Come in Angela! Make yourself at home" I started to walk in but Mom pushed on my chest. She stepped out and closed the door behind her.

"I don't know what the hell this is Aubrey." She jabbed her finger into my chest.

"Trust me Mom, it's not what you think, that's why I brought her here, she's in a situation and she needs a place to stay, just drive her to Lincoln High School tomorrow morning, and tell her to come to my office tomorrow after school" I turned around and started walking down the steps.

"So you're just dumping her on me Aubrey?" I paused.

"Be nice," I said and kept walking. They'll like each other.