Chapter Five

Angela

I walked into the familiar office and stopped in front of the desk. The small woman in front of me was on the phone. I stared at the green walls day dreaming about Aubrey. He was really handsome although I failed to acknowledge it. He had droopy eyes that always looked welcoming, his lips were always pink and full, they looked so soft.

"Miss Manning?" I was snapped out of my thoughts.

"Yes Imani?"

"Dr. Graham is ready to see you." Her voice was laced with attitude. I rolled my eyes and turned away walking quickly.

I knocked on the door softly, "Come in Angie" I heard in response.

"I see you finally decided to call me by my nickname," I smiled at him. Dr. Graham was wearing a blue button down shirt.

"How was your day Angela?" I guess we're back to that... I rolled my eyes at the thought of school. Even though my grades reflected an interest in school, I would never like it. Ever. I just focused because I knew it was the only way I could get out of my situation. A full ride scholarship would almost guarantee that I wouldn't have to go back to that home. I could work at night and save enough to rent out a small studio apartment.

"Angie!" he raised his voice at me, "Are you just going to daydream? Is it about your father?" I watched him as he played with his fingers.

"I was thinking about my life after this Dr. Graham." I said it so lowly I could barely hear myself but his head snapped up when I finished my sentence. He smiled small at me.

"You have goals?" He placed his arms on the desk.

"Yeah, I want to be a psychologist, so I can help other people, I know a lot goes on in my head, so I want to help other people with what goes on in theirs'. I want to make them feel better about themselves."

"That's great Angie, you want to go to college," he paused, "do you have a savings account?"

I laughed, "Yeah but my parents only put $200 in it, my guidance counselor says that with my grades and income, I could easily get a scholarship."

"Well you know I can always help you Angela, with references, I mean. I think you'll be a great psychologist." He got up from his chair, "I'm leaving early today, you want a ride?"

"Yes please" I thought about where I was going to go. I had to go home sometime, hopefully Antonio won't be mad at me anymore, giving him a few hours to cool off usually worked, but maybe I had stayed out too long, I had always gone back home in the morning to change. They'll wonder where I got these clothes... I'll just say I got them from Sianna. He can't prove that I didn't.

"Come on Angie," he motioned. He had his bag over one shoulder, his jeans looked just a little too long on him. I got up and followed behind him, I tried to ignore all the stares I received from other employees. One nurse stopped directly in front of Dr. Graham, he stopped abruptly making me bump into him, she walked around him and side eyed me. I rolled my eyes in return, they clearly had history, but it was none of my business.

Dr. Graham held the door for the stairs for me, I quickly shuffled down waiting for him at the bottom, we exited through the double doors together and I headed straight for his car, in the reserved parking spot that read "Dr. Aubrey Graham."

He unlocked the car and I hopped in, I pulled out the book I had been reading as I waited for him to catch up and put his bag in the trunk.

"Go Ask Alice? I've read that book, it's very interesting." I smiled at him, "So where to Miss Angie?"

"Uh... my house." Both of our smiles quickly faded.

He sighed. "Why do you want to go there? It's not safe. I thought they wouldn't notice if you were gone."

"They will." I stated. "Please just take me there?"

"I'm not forcing you to go anywhere Angela, I do need to talk to them though."

"You're just going to get me in trouble!" I yelled at him. "I know you're trying, but there isn't just some easy way to get out of this." Tears started to roll down my face. He pulled out of the spot and started to drive paying me no mind. I expected him to just stop trying to communicate with my parents right then, but he didn't say anything. I continued to let the tears stream down my face. I wiped them away as soon as we reached a red light.

"I'm sorry. I still have to talk to them Angela."

I was silent for the rest of the ride as he talked about things I had absolutely no interest in. We pulled into the brick driveway. I stepped out and slammed the door and he followed after.

"You have a nice home Angela."

"It's not mine." I muttered. I walked up the steps and knocked on the door, remembering that I had left the keys on the island in the kitchen.

Antonio opened up the door and glared at me before looking at Dr. Graham, "H-hi Daddy," I stuttered.

"Why is your doctor here Angie?"

"Hi Mr. Manning, I'm Aubrey." He held out his hand, Antonio stared reluctantly at it but shook it anyway.

"I'm Antonio, come in."

We all walked up the stairs, I sat on the love seat and Aubrey followed, my father sat on the couch across the room.

"Angela was with me at the office for the past hour and a half Mr. Manning."

"Why?" He stared hard at me.

"I had a few questions about the incident last week. Like why she allowed her boyfriend to hurt her... with a belt..."

"Why are you asking me that then?"

"Well because," he paused and looked at me, "I could call CPS on you Mr. Manning, what you're doing is a serious crime."

"I'm not doing anything." He said through clenched teeth. Dr. Graham glared at him in response.

"Listen. I don't want any trouble with you, and I understand that you may want to discipline your child, but this isn't the way to go." He got up and walked down the stairs and out the door, he turned around, "Call me" he whispered.

"No, wait outside, please, I want to go back to Sandi's."

He nodded, "Bye Dr. Graham." I said loud enough so Antonio could hear. I locked the door behind him. I quickly walked up the stairs and was met with a flying hand. I winced and held my face in pain, I continued walking and slammed my bedroom door in his face. I locked the door and started rummaging through my closet.

"WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING? I SHOULD KILL YOU, YOU UNGRATFUL LITTLE SLUT. ARE YOU FUCKING HIM? IS HE GIVING YOU MONEY?" He banged on my door.

I stuffed an outfit in my oversized bag and pajamas. I opened my window and climbed down the ladder, I had to jump down two feet to reach the ground. I ran to Dr. Graham's car and we sped off.

"My Mom's house right?"

"Yeah." We stopped at a red light. He frowned and touched my cheek which I knew was red.

"I'm going to figure something out Angie, I will." I just wish he could.