14; jupiter

"I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day-blind stars

waiting with their light. For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." 

― Wendell Berry, The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry

➳ ➳ ➳

IT WAS A QUIET DAY ON THE ARK. Naomi had been gazing at Jupiter for about half of the day. It wasn't every day that the planet emerged on the horizon, a shadow of red and orange. It was her favourite planet, she decided. Fiery and bright—like Charlotte, she liked to think. Naomi peered around the corridor window to get a better look at the planet. Her hair was up in two braids, cascading down her thin shoulders.

The day bell rang, hinting at the chime of midday. She lived in the Alpha Station, a district to the East of the Ark centre, where her parents worked.

"Midday..." Naomi murmured, still entranced by the view from the window. She pressed her elbows to the glass and lay her chin on them, admiring the view. Earth was dancing in colours of green and blue and white, looking like a far-off heaven. The moon was in its cycle close to the Ark, glowing silver against the sunlight. Stars danced off in corners of the sky. "Midday!" she exclaimed, eyes widening at what that meant. Her eyes darted to the watch on her wrist. 12:05 EA. Eastern Ark... that meant she had to be at the West Wing in five minutes.

Naomi had never run so fast. She leapt off the window ledge, blue dress catching in the air. Her braids hit her in the face. The young girl skidded around the corner, almost crashing into a middle-aged couple, who glared at her as she barged past them. The pale bow in her hair was lost someway along those corridors.

"Gonna be late," she panted. "Gonna be late!"

She couldn't afford to lose this job—it was rare for someone under 14 to get a job at all, so for a 12-year-old, that was an amazing feat. And she was going to lose it! Her feet hit the ground at an amazing speed as she sprinted across the span of the Ark. Her face burned with heat.

She slid around the corner, slamming into a pole that seemed to appear out of thin air. She groaned but ignored the pain throbbing to her shoulder. Naomi continued to sprint down the corridor, and managed to slide in front of the laundry room before another minute past.

Irene stood there, a basket of laundry already in her hands. Her blue eyes were a sparkling contrast to her silver-white hair. Naomi slowed in front of her, bending over for breath. "Almost late, Naomi," Irene laughed, with a smile on her face.

The young girl shook her head, raising a hand to her face in a salute. Her cheeks were red as she heaved for air. "Never!"

Irene laughed at that, holding out the basket for her. "Here—as usual, the names are pinned to the shirts. This load was supposed to be delivered yesterday, so we're a bit behind schedule. Some of our customers won't be expecting the load today—make sure to apologise for the laundry service, okay?"

Naomi nodded, still regaining her breath. She took the large basket in her hands. "Just East Wing today?" she huffed.

"Yes. Thank you for being punctual, Naomi." Naomi beamed with pride. Irene laughed. "Now go get those clothes delivered—no doubt the customers will be wondering where their washing got to."