23; warrior

"She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one."

― Sarah J. Maas, Heir of Fire

➳ ➳ ➳

SHE SAT IN THE FOREST, WAITING.

Her sword was balanced across her knees, dead deer beside her and quiver of arrows scattered on the ground. Her hair was tied up behind her.

She'd been dismissed from the restraints of the wheelchair, it being a few weeks after the Mount Weather Massacre. She'd never let it be known by anything other than that. A slaughter—done for the right reasons, perhaps—but a slaughter no less.

Her body was still weak from the exertion at Mount Weather. Her fingers played along the blade of her sword as she sat.

The wolf emerged from the woods.

If she didn't know better, she would have thought it had gotten larger. Fawn fur glinted in the sun. Its hackles weren't raised—an unusual occurrence. Instead, it padded over to her on long legs, head low. It stared at her with narrow copper eyes.

Naomi slowly moved her sword off her lap as it approached.

Aciante stopped inches away from her. She could feel its puffs of breath hitting her face.

She pushed the deer forward with her gloved hands, feeling the blood between her fingertips. It was a kind of peace offering.

After a moment of staring at her with hard eyes, he bent forward, snapping his jaws around the frail body of the dead deer.

The wolf took a step back with the deer in its jaws. When Naomi didn't make a move to come after him, Aciante wheeled around. A trail of blood followed him, falling from the deer hanging in his teeth.

Naomi watched him leave. His eyes glimmered in the low sun as he turned back to look at her. Then he was gone between the trees.

The girl sat back against her knees again. She wondered where he went home to each day.

➳ ➳ ➳

The camp was busy. Workers were carrying planks of wood and steel, balancing them in carts. Small huts were being built on either side of the roads. Some cars had been brought in from under Mount Weather.

An 'Arkadia' sign was being secured above the gates. Jaha was back now, and it was time to make their camp into a civilisation.

Naomi hiked up to the hill, where the gate rose. Kane was standing there, watching their people in the camp below.

Ley was already standing beside Kane, lithe hands crossed over her chest. Kahina was next to her. The oldest girl wasn't a fan of the Sky People—she'd made that very clear—yet here she was, with Naomi and Ley.

Naomi approached them, sword held firmly between her fingers. It hung by her side. She stepped next to Kane, who seemed to be thinking thoughtfully.

It was just the four of them looking upon what would now be known as Arkadia.

"So, what now?" she asked.

Kane placed his hands on his hips. "Now... we rebuild our home."