21; the fall

"Hope is the real magic, child." 

― Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

➳ ➳ ➳

"LONG WAY FROM THE ARK, HUH?" MAYA WAS PACING BACK AND FORTH FROM THE DOOR. Naomi had her sword twisting in her hands. She had promised Clarke not to fight, but based on their circumstances it seemed as if that wouldn't go to plan.

"Not my Ark," Octavia said. "I didn't have a view either."

Naomi slumped against the wall. "Hated that place." Her fingers played across her arms.

"Still. I wish I could see it." The girl was peering out the window now, eyes on the corridor.

Octavia seemed to think for a moment. "Maybe you can," the girl said. "There's an airlock. We used it to hold Emerson. All we have to do is get you there, and..."

"So I could live in a cell?"

"At least you could live," Naomi countered. She straightened herself now. "You could sort out a life in there. And maybe we could find out a way to let you outside." She nodded at Maya. "It's possible—" Her words were cut off as the doors behind them slammed open.

A couple stumbled in, lips locked in a kiss. Naomi took a step backwards, sword already hanging in her fingers. They looked to be only teenagers. The boy glanced upwards and noticed the group beside them. His eyes locked on Naomi and Octavia.

He grabbed the girl by the hand and they were out the door before either girl could stop them. "Outsiders!"

Naomi was ducking out after them without a second thought. Maya's hands brushed past her arm. "No, no! Don't!" Octavia burst out into the corridor with her. The couple were sprinting down the corridor, towards a group of five guards.

"Outsiders behind us!"

The guards had only taken a single stride towards them before Naomi threw her sword.

It sliced through the air and imbedded itself in one of the guard's chests. She leapt into the air and took the other down with her, the two enemies crashing to the ground. Her fist drove into his neck. She felt her knuckles crush against his larynx. He died within seconds.

Naomi leant back up, rolling herself off the man. She clutched at her torso, which was beginning to burn. Octavia slashed the throat of one of the guards.

One of them took off running. The other escaped through a different corridor.

Naomi turned to the guard that was thundering down the hall. "We'll get that one!" She picked up her sword and took chase, Ley swift on her heels. The man was well ahead of them, leaping down the flights of stairs. If this one got away, Cage would be coming for them.

As they skidded around the corner, a group of guards stood waiting for them.

"Shit."

The first guard came at Naomi. She speared her sword through his chest, ripping it out to cut through the next's neck. Blood splattered over her fingers. She kicked the third guard out of the way, wincing in pain as the stitches in her torso ripped. She nearly fell to the ground.

The shocklash hit her in the side. The girl crumpled to the ground, head smashing against tiles. She reached down to cup her wound in pain. Blood ran through her fingertips.

Someone slammed another boot into her head. Her vision flashed white and then red as blood ran into her eyes. Her hand strained to push her upwards.