Chapter Fifteen

I woke up before Cassian. I slipped out from under him and went to the bathroom. My message was still there. I smiled as I looked at it, realizing I couldn't stay mad at him no matter how hard I tried. I flushed the toilet and then fixed my hair. I crawled back in beside him.

His eyes were open, "it wasn't a dream," he whispered his hand touching my cheek, "you really did stay."

I sighed, facing him as I pulled the covers back up. The sun spilled in through the windows, "Cass. We have a lot to talk about. But I'm sorry."

He pressed his finger against my lips, "I have a surprise for you. To say I'm sorry."

I looked at him and felt the concern flash across my face. Cassian and his surprises usually warranted a warning. They were dangerous. The last surprise he had given me was a day fishing out on the lake. Of course it was freezing and I slipped in the mud and ended up in the water. He jumped in after me, even though I could stand and we both ended up in the emergency room.

It was a memory that made me laugh now. But it was also when we realized Cassian shouldn't be allowed to surprise us.

He laughed as if he could read my mind, "don't worry, sweetheart. I promise it's a good surprise. Azriel helped me."

At the mention of the quiet brother I leaned in and pressed my lips to his. He still tasted like beer, but he was sober and he was holding me as if nothing had changed. As if he didn't care what I called him, that I compared him to Tomas. He understood, he would always understand the pain that man caused me.

Some wounds never truly heal. Especially invisible ones.

"I know he hurt you," Cassian pulled away and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, "I know you're still learning to open up, to believe not everyone is like him. I know having him back here is hard. But I will never be him. I will do everything I can to prove to you how much I love you."

I smiled, "I know. And that makes me love you even more. I'm sorry. For the way I shut down, for letting those messages scare me. I should've listened. I just got scared. I used it to push you away before I could get hurt again."

"I won't hurt you Nes. I promise."

I smiled as he leaned in to kiss me once again. The sound of my phone ringing surprised us both. I pulled away and saw Feyre's name flash across the screen.

"Hello?"

"Where are you? You didn't come home and I was worried. You didn't tell me you were going anywhere."

"I'm sorry," I closed my eyes rolling onto my back. I had forgotten to call her when I went to pick up Cassian, "I had to save a drunk at the bar and I forgot to call you. Is Rey awake? I'll come home now."

"No," Feyre sighed, "no she's fine. She's watching beauty and the beast. I was just worried. As long as you're okay. The drunk was Cassian right?"

I laughed, "yes."

"And if you would care to know we were in the middle of making up," Cassian growled loudly beside me.

Feyre laughed, "well lucky for you two I'm still not feeling well. So I'll watch Rey. Rhys is coming over to help."

"Are you sure you're okay? Is something really wrong? Should you go to the doctors?" I asked wondering if she was going to get Rey sick now that she had just gotten over her infection. Or was getting over it.

Feyre sighed, it sounded like a laugh, "no I'm fine Nes. I just feel a little off. Don't worry Rhys is bringing me some medicine and Rey is really a big help. She loves watching movies with auntie Fey."