Chapter Sixteen

Tomas lingered as I grabbed my things and started home. Rhys was headed to the police station and I just need away from here. He didn't follow me, in fact he didn't say anything. He just watched me and smiled. As if he knew something I didn't. As if this was all still some big game to him.

I walked off, ignoring him as I tried not to run back home. My hands were still shaking when I walked into the house and Feyre met me. She had rey on her hip.

"What the hell happened Nesta? Rhysand just ran out after you called him."

"Tomas started a fight. Cassian snapped, they arrested him. I have to go to the station," I grabbed the keys, "keep her here. And don't answer the door. Tomas might come back."

Feyre nodded and then I left. I drove way too fast and got to the station in less than three minutes. I walked in and Rhysand was talking to the officer behind the desk. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me into a side hug.

"Hey," he squeezed my arm, "I posted his bail. They're going to release him."
I hugged Rhys, "thank you."

He nodded as he held onto me, "what happened Nesta? The officers said he went after Tomas."

I laughed, "Tomas went after me. Not physically but verbally. He stood far enough away that he wasn't violating his restraining order. And then he attacked me and cassian with rude marks. He whispered something to Cass and that's when he snapped. I've never seen him so angry."

Rhys sighed, "he hates Tomas. He will do whatever he has to keep you and Rey safe."

I bit my lip, "I know. I just. Tomas plays his games. This is one of them. He went after Cassian for a reason."

"Nesta," I turned and Cassian stood there putting his things back in his pockets. I had to stop myself from running to him. The bruise on his cheek was darker, his lip was covered in dried blood.

Cassian hugged me tightly. I kissed his cheek careful of his injuries, "don't do that again. Please," my voice broke as I ran a finger down his bruise.

"Do you know what he said to me?" He asked as he pulled away. I shook my head as he sighed, "he said that rey will never be more anything other than a little whore like her mother. If only she could've been raised by someone more deserving."

He wrapped his arms around me tightly. I shook my head, i wouldn't let him hurt me anymore. I didn't care about his comment. I just needed Cassian, his arms around me safe.

"Is he pressing charges?" I asked as I pulled back and looked at his bruises.

Cassian shrugged, "I don't know. I don't care. I just want to go home. I'm sorry I ruined our date."

I smiled and kissed him softly, "you didn't ruin it I promise."

"I shouldn't have hit him. I know. But I had to protect our girl," he closed his eyes. I pulled him in and kissed his cheeks, "I'm sorry Nesta."

"Let's just, go home," I sighed as I grabbed his hand. Rhys finished talking to the officers and then followed us outside.

Rhysand looked at us, "Cassian. What the hell were you thinking? This is what Tomas wanted to happen."

Cassian stopped outside the station. He grabbed my hand, trying to make me understand what had happened. His eyes were soft as he held my hand tightly in his, "he said he would find a way to break us apart and no one else would want you. So then he'd get you back."

I shook my head, "that will never happen. Come on, let's go home."

Cassian sighed as he got into my car. I stopped and looked at Rhys before I got in beside him, "thank you for coming, for helping us. Did they tell you, if he's going to be pressing charges?"