Earth 0.0

A/N - The prompt for this story was the idea of a cruise ship being somehow transported back in time to the era of the super-contintent Pangaea (250 million years ago).  This was just about my first crack at a serious/non-humorous story—you've been warned.  2200 words.

"This is Captain Genarro speaking. Just a quick message to let all our valued passengers know that we're in for some rough weather tonight. No need for any concern, but the ship's motion may become a little lively. Secure any loose items in your cabin and those prone to sea sickness may wish to take appropriate medication. The storm is forecast to clear overnight and we're expecting good weather tomorrow. Sleep well."

I lay in the darkness of my cabin, feeling the motion of the ship gradually increase beneath me. After some consideration I took another Avomine. I'd deal with this storm by sleeping right through it.

"Dad, Dad! Wake up Dad!" Surely it wasn't morning already? The sunlight streaming in through the porthole provided unwelcome confirmation. I rolled over in the forlorn hope that Oscar might give up and go back to bed. Fat chance. Seven year old boys don't roll that way.

"C'mon Dad, get up. You said you'd hit the water park with me today."

When I'd received the offer in the mail for a luxury cruise at a huge discount I'd jumped at the chance for a restful holiday. Unfortunately Oscar saw holidays and resting as mutually exclusive concepts. I sat up and saw that Lucy was awake as well. As usual she was looking at her phone.

"Morning Luce. Do you really have to check that thing as soon as you wake up?"

"Morning Dad. Do you really have to say the same thing to me every day?" She frowned at the screen. "But I can't seem to get online anyway."

In a typical 21st century reflex reaction to news of this magnitude, I grabbed my phone to check. She was right - no service available. Good, I thought. We're not here to Snapchat.

A shower cleared away the last traces of the Avomine and the kids and I headed out for some breakfast. It was a glorious day, with brilliant sunshine and a gentle breeze. I'd never smelt air so fresh. Passengers milled about, many fiddling with seemingly unresponsive phones. I was surprised to find the ship appeared to be stationary and even more surprised to see a coastline of lush, tropical jungle off the port side. We were supposed to be in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

"Good morning passengers, Captain Genarro here. Your attention please for an important announcement. All adult passengers are required to assemble immediately in the Princess Theatre. Children may breakfast at the Azure buffet while we hold a short but critical meeting."

Weird. What could the problem be? "Luce, take your brother to breakfast while I see what this is all about. Don't let him eat too many pancakes."

A few minutes later I was settled in the theatre, alongside several hundred other passengers. We didn't have long to wait before a middle-aged man in a dark suit walked on stage. A screen behind him displayed a map. A map of an amorphous, unfamiliar island which for some reason had sections labelled with the names of the continents.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. I am Dr Rudolf Harkness." He gestured towards the screen. "May I present your new home. Pangaea. Or as I like to call it, Earth 0.0."

A wave of muttering swept through the audience. A woman in the front row stood up. "What on Earth are you talking about? Pangaea hasn't existed for 175 million years."

Harkness smiled at her. "Ah, Professor Dent, one of our eminent paleontologists. You are correct of course, if you're speaking from a 21st century perspective. Fortunately from our point of view, the breakup of Pangaea won't happen for another 75 million years." He chuckled. "Plenty of time for us to settle in."